PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Occasionally, I'll stumble across a movie or two that surprised me in a pleasant way, not only for the acting but for solid story and where appropriate, a well-hidden twist.
Some recent offerings:

Chef

Rudderless

Hello, My Name Is Doris

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Captain American Civil War was better than expected, and I expected it to be great. I watch the low-brow genre. I do see that Hello, My Name is Doris got good critic/people reviews/ratings. The "people" liked Rudderless. Chef was liked by critics and audiences alike. Of the three, I would be most likely to watch Chef.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
And lest I be vague; please feel free to join in with your list of surprise movies. You might help us find another gem.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
"Departures" or "Okuribito" as it is called in Japanese. It won and Oscar for best foreign language film in 2009, yet almost nobody I know has seen it. One of the most moving, gentle and humorous movies I've ever watched.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"It won and Oscar for best foreign language film in 2009, yet almost nobody I know has seen it."
Might I recommend Captain America Civil War. That is a movie that almost everyone has seen. Great, great movie.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Movie Remember, good plot and twist at the end. In The Heart of The Sea. True Story that moitaviated Herman Mellville to write Moby Dick, directed by Ron Howard.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
"Departures" or "Okuribito" as it is called in Japanese. It won and Oscar for best foreign language film in 2009, yet almost nobody I know has seen it. One of the most moving, gentle and humorous movies I've ever watched.
I've seen that. It is quite good.
Let me recommend "In the Electric Mist." It a tragically under seen Tommy Lee Jones movie based on a really excellent series of books.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
One of my favorites was Red Cliff I & II, at times the acting was so good I knew what as being inferred w/o assist from the subtitles (it was in Chinese). Directed by John Woo there were brilliant uses of drawing one into a scene like the late John Ford was great at doing. I'm a sucker for well done, intelligent acting and the rapport several of the actors had was fantastic. If you've never seen it I think you're in for a treat, cheers.

banjo

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Idiocracy is a movie that when I first decided to watch it a few years ago I wasn't expecting much, and though it would be just another stupid movie. Well it was, but not how you think. I thought it was funny and entertaining, but was very relevant too. I ended up buying it and watching it at least once a year only to find it's becoming more relevant every year! Sadly, many people seem to be getting dumber and dumber. Not everyone, but far too many. Pretty soon it will be viewed as being a documentary... :mrgreen:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LSH: I've been a fan of Jon Favreau since "Swingers" and his direction of and acting in "Chef" was a real treat. I do admire his versatility.
Bradley: You're the only other guy I know who read and liked Louis L'Amour's "Last of the Breed." If "In The Heart of The Sea" got you I know I'll like it as well.
Fez: Started "Into the Electric Mist" the other day and loved the opening scene with TLJ. Got interrupted and will finish it Saturday after the KC Pipe Show. Several Jones films to add here: his very personal - filmed on his Wet Texas ranch - "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada," "The Homesman" and "The Company Men."
Fish: Thank you for the heads up on John Woo's "Red Cliff" films. I only know his English language films and I'll have fun hunting these down.
What a cool thread, LSH.
Fnord

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Two recent movies I have seen and appreciated more than my expectations are
Colonia and Sicario

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Probably my favorite genre is "film noir" (defining the genre loosely). One of my favorites that did not receive much attention is After Dark, My Sweet with Jason Patric, Rachel Ward and Bruce Dern, based on a Jim Thompson novel. Brilliant script, directing and performances imo. Another that is almost as good is The Grifters, also based on a JT novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.