PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Yo, morning gent's and gentettes..?
Anyway, I have an opportunity to aquire these 5 pipes and rack in a trade. SO far I can only make out one name, 'Jethro'! ;)
I've asked for more info on the others with pictures and names etc but I figured why not ask you pro's in the mean time.

I'll update more when I have details.
Any info will be grand!
Cheers

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Nice.. I may nee to rush this trade and get that one! :)
What's the deal with the leather wrapped one? I';ve seen them a few times, are they a common thing or just for one brand?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That wrapped pipe looks more like it's wrapped in cork?

Leather wrapped pipes are not uncommon, but often hide hideous imperfections in the wood, I've 'gleaned'.

I don't have one, yet, but I have pipes with fills that are wonderful smokers so I think that a leather wrapped pipe has potential.

Never heard of a Jethro pipe!

I read part of the thread posted by tuold, and it resonates with me. I too obtain pipes that I don't smoke for one reason or another. I consider this to be just one more facet of my piping experience. I guess you could say I'm cellaring a few pipes.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
No idea about any markings other than the Jethro so far. I too like the church warden. All the stems appear to be vulcanite, so I assume they are probably well made and old, rather than just window display pipes that often are nothing more than display jobs.
Just waiting for an email now with more details.. the guy mention he reckon value of all, plus rack and a leather baccy pouch around £40, which seems pretty damn good so far. I will likely be trading knives, tools and or my handy work with custom jobs for them.
So far I'm excited to hear back with names and stuff. Nthing like the excitement and anticipation fo a good score! :D

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I find leather covered pipes don't hide substandard or fills galore. I have 3 or 4 that have the leather removed and it looks normal. Just usually have grain that is not interesting or doesn't stand out.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Ive had two longchamps with leather wraps, both smoked well. That one like newbroom said above almost looks like cork, maybe someone added it to be a finshing pipe in case they dropped it in the water and wanted it to float? That or it is really dried out and poorly cared for leather.
They look loved so it is probably safe to say they smoked well for the previous owner. Once you clean them all up you should have a nice start of the collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.