PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good evening everyone.
I would like to address everyone about something that has become tiresome to me.
I have become aware that it seems to be increasingly in vogue lately to use profanity to express any point at all.
Everyone here knows who I am (as a person), and know that I rarely ask someone to be more considerate to the other members, and then, always in a Personal Message, never publically, and always expressed as respectfully as I can.
I find it very tiresome to read the postings continually couched in profanity. While I can and do curse like the Marine I am. However; I do so only when driving (at which I am a Tenth Level Grand Master), or when I drop something on my foot, or slam my finger in a door, for example. While it makes me feel better, in the short-run, to release some endorphins, it has no practical application. My Grandfather once observed. “Cursing without purpose is the sign of a lazy mind." I mean no insult to anyone, but it is very easy to lapse into the habit of cursing to express ourselves.
Please, I'm asking everyone to be more selective about what language you use.
I want everyone to know that I am not pointing any fingers; as a matter of fact I am guilty of the very thing that I'm asking everyone to be more mindful of... that being the flippant use of profanity in general... and the use of the F-Bomb in particular.
I have (in the past) posted a video that used the F-Bomb, and it was humorous. But, I gave warning that-that word was used in that video bearing in mind there are members that don't care to either hear or read that particular word.
So, please as a favor to me, to Kevin, and the membership as a whole... show some consideration when choosing your words.
I'm stepping off my soap box.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I agree and apologize, wasnt trying to offend, thought censoring would be enough. Point taken

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Congrats and thank you for continuing to be the Count of Civility to us all Lawrence. I hope we can all remind ourselves to keep our postings from discouraging future memberships with our language.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Agreed. Let us be the Ladies and Gentlemen our hobby expects of us. :clap:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
If you cant say anything nice keep your mouth shut and quit passing judgement on other people who you know very little about . All these innuendos flying about are worse than the profanity . Reading the forums lately is akin too the Civil War . This used to be a site for all to enjoy and discuss things not always related to pipes or tobacco . It saddens me when whole discussions disappear .But then the site would have little resale value or marketing value if left in place . I think we need a beer summit . Now everyone take a chill pill and play nice .If you cant play with the big boys , please stay on the porch . 8)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What is a beer summit? Sounds like something I'd be down for especially if there was pipe smoking involved!
-Jason

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
We all get togather and drink beer until we hug and make up . Then we share pipe tobacco and sing kum by yah . Beats the heck out of waht we are doing right now . Cortez I still love you and am sending new shoe laces for your bowling shoes . 8)

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Beautifully said Lawrence.
Now, if we can just get those sitting atop their infinitely high ivory towers looking down their noses and perpetually castigating others at every opportunity about every mortal thing to show the same common decency, we'd all be happy little campers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.