PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have some half litre Nalgene bottles that I'm think would be a good temporary storage jar of when I am out camping. Anyone ever tried storing in plastic jars.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Well, where to begin?
Plastic is pourous! Plastic can, and will, take on the smell/flavor of whatever is stored in it. So, if you smoke many blends it can take a few containers as zero's with/all ghost the container.
Light is evil (to pipe tobacco) so the darker the container, the better.
Sunshine makes stuff hot! So you not only need a variety of dark containers, you need to put them in something that will keep them in the dark, and cool.
Finally, tossing in a humidity control pack is always a good idea.
That being said, I camp a lot and just bought a fabric insulated lunch box and keep a few garage sale Tupperware sandwich containers in it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I store everything in sealable glass jars. I avoid plastic for tobacco - food and liquids as well. I have however had luck using sealable stainless steel camping gear for long term tobacco storage.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have an 16oz steel thermal mug with a sealing lid made by klean kanteen that I will keep in the ice chest. That should solve all issues for keeping tobacco good on a week long fishing trip up north. I store in jars at home but tend to smoke (and drink) a lot on these trips. Lol

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
If you're just using the nalgene bottle for short term storage, while your camping, then yes, your tobacco will be fine. Try to keep it covered, in the shade and out of direct sunlight. I've done the same thing when glass jars added too much weight to my pack and had no problems whatsoever. As far as ghosting, after your trip, wash the bottle with soap and water, let air out and you should be good to go for the next trip.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I bought 8oz of house blend tobacco in a ziplock from my local B&M, put the ziplock inside a tupperware canister and put that on a shelf in my garage. That was in 2005 and I still have half of it left and it smokes and tastes the same as it did originally. Recently I transfered it to a smaller tupperware and rinsed the larger one out with plain water. It does not have any residual odor. Old tupperware, if the lid isn't cracked, seems to be non-porous enough to do humidor duty. The cheap tupperware clones from Walmart, YMMV :) Sure I'd love to be a purist and keep everything in glass, but tupperware is safer. Glass for long-term storage, but if I get at it frequently the odds go up I'm going to drop it on the concrete floor sooner or later.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a number of bulk blends stored in BPA free plastic jars with hinged lids and a rubber seal. They've kept the aromatics in them fresh and flavorful for about six months so far. I have them stored in a book case that's positioned for minimal sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.