PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2018
Got a tin of pirate kake arriving tomorrow, and quite excited about it! I have recently really started enjoying flavorful Latakia blends from C and D, and have heard this one is the Latakia blend to end all Latakia blends. Is this so? Will it live up to its name? Really looking forward to this!

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I personally find Pirate Kake to be a little too much of a good thing. I bought a pound of it, and have since been using it to add Latakia to blends that could use some more.
IMO, Ten Russians is a better Lat Bomb blend. I can't say it is less full as a Lat bomb than Pirate Kake, but is is a more approachable blend. Ten Russians is a Lat Bomb of all Lat Bombs, but you can suck on it like a blonde sucking the chrome off a ball hitch, yet is stays cool, and cannot bite the tongue.

Aug 16, 2018
About a third of the way through my first bowl and here are my first impressions:
This is a simple blend, but very enjoyable nonetheless. It is without a doubt a “Latakia only” type blend, with the other components playing only minimal, supporting roles. It is a dry blend as well, in the sense of a “sec” champagne. That is to say a strong, small “core” flavour (in this case Latakia) contained within an open and spacious medium. The taste of the Latakia is excellent: smoky and bold, yet at the same time unassuming and restrained, without ever tending towards the bitterness of some similarly constituted blends. I would rate it as a very good, if slightly monochromatic, Latakia forward blend. I am enjoying it very much, and for what it is, I would highly recommend it.

Aug 16, 2018
A little more than halfway through the bowl now and I’m really warming up to this blend. It has certain “suck-the-moisture-right-out-of-your-mouth” feel that is really enjoyable. Is it complex? No. Nuanced? Absolutely not. Delicious? Hell yes.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Jay, is that you?? :D
Michael, my apologies -- that was a jibe at my good friend jaytex. He writes very good reviews & yours sounded like one of his. -grin-. Welcome, BTW; I don't think I've had the honor to say hi yet!
Bill

Aug 16, 2018
Hi Bill!
Nice to meet you too! Many thanks. The name is Nick actually (Michelstaedter is just a last name that appears on my genealogy trail down the line. Heard of Carlo Michelstaedter?)
Best
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.