Pipeworks & Wilke Aromatics -- Why Are They Different?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
After posting this thread last month -- http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/which-aromatics-dont-taste-like-chemicals -- I finally decided to order a sampler from Carole Burns of Pipeworks & Wilke. And boy am I ever glad I did. I've always wanted to like aromatics -- they smell so good and the idea of smoking a vanilla-flavored tobacco is attractive to me, but almost every aro I've tried tastes like chemicals or scented candles. I don't know why, but the Pipeworks & Wilke aromatics that Carole Burns mixes up are different. Not only that, but they are delicious.
Wilke #191
If you don't like 1Q, but wish you could (because it smells so nice), you will probably enjoy #191. It's smooth, it's sweet, it's got tobacco flavor, and the Vanilla and Honey aroma and taste are just wonderful. I've only smoked one bowl, but I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying a bowl of aromatic pipe tobacco. And there was no chemically aftertaste. Even though I'm pretty sure there's conventional black cavendish in there, whatever Carole does to it makes it play really nice with the vanilla and honey extracts she adds to the mix, along with some VAs and burley.
Pipemaker's Choice
I had very low expectations for this aromatic English blend, but since it was formulated by Nachwalter himself for the original Briar Workshop store in Stowe, Vermont, I had to try it. Again, I'm glad I did. It's a blend of VAs, burley and Latakia (no Turkish/Orientals) with some golden vanilla cavendish sprinkled in for a little sweetness and a nice aroma. It's not overly complex and it won't knock you over with nicotine, but it is perfectly balanced. It gives a smooth, cool, creamy smoke and smells really, really good. It's perfect for a relaxing pipe while reading or taking a stroll. And like #191, there is ZERO chemical aftertaste.
I can't wait to try Vermont Maple Cavendish. And if you like English blends, the Wilke High Hat is top-notch -- another perfectly balanced, old-fashioned mixture, with a good dose of Perique adding a nice tangy flavor.
newhome.jpeg

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan. I've been converted.
In the aromatic English category, I especially like Nos. 5 & 13.
I also like Rumcake.
191 is probably among the top ten pure aromatics out there, IMHO.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Perique, I don't have No. 5 or No. 13 on hand, but I did buy some Royal Scot, which adds the aromatic component to those blends. I've yet to try it, but I may try adding some to the High Hat or the No. 10, just to get a sense of what Nos. 5 and 13 might taste like.
BTW, any idea what the heck is in Royal Scot?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
OK I am interested. How is the nut brown burley (cube cut)? Does it have a topping at all?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
sallow, I've only had one bowl, but it's very good. Very similar to Uhle's 00 if you've had that, but there's definitely a light topping -- mostly sugar water of some sort, no real flavoring, per se.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Very similar to Uhle's 00
Thanks, Pitchfork. I can't say I've had Blend 00 but I am a fan of Uhle's Crushed White Burley. There is an old timey feel to it. I think I should give Wilke a try.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My every day smoke is a 50/50 blend of 191 and Grammercy Park, with a generous pinch of Mettowee. My current "English" home blend is Pipemakers Choice with a pinch of High Hat and a pinch of GLP Caravan. I also really like Gotham Court, which I usually mix with some Grammercy Park, it's a very nice non-latakia Oriental.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
sallow, I've never had the Crushed White Burley -- does that have a topping of some sort? I've also had the Perfection Plug, which is cube cut burley with some kind of brandy-like topping -- also very old timey.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm with you pitchfork. Wilke blends go back to the 1800s and are IMHO a cut above other aromatics. I think if anyone out there wishes they could enjoy aros but has yet to find one they liked, Wilke blends are a must try.
Carole uses natural ingredients and is a master blender who takes her job and the Wilke legacy seriously. I've tried several and my fav remains Rumcake (but 191 is a close second).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dave, I just saw your message, above. 191, Gramercy Park and Mettowee are all vanilla-flavored cavendish blends. How would you differentiate between them? I only have the 191 on hand.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wilke blends go back to the 1800s and are IMHO a cut above other aromatics. I think if anyone out there wishes they could enjoy aros but has yet to find one they liked, Wilke blends are a must try.
This can't be emphasized enough. If you think you don't like aromatics, but wish you did, you should try the Pipeworks & Wilke blends.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've never had the Crushed White Burley -- does that have a topping of some sort?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Crushed White Burley has a subtle topping. It is not overpowering. I get a bit of vanilla mixed with anise, it is very pleasant. The treat is the cube cut burley underneath, which is top shelf.
I am also interested in the Wilke rum cake. Can you taste to tobacco underneath that?

Dec 24, 2012
I'm usually not a fan of aros, but you guys are actually tempting me to try some of P&W's stuff. Anyone know whether she ships to Canada?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Sallow- Rumcake is excellent. And yes, you can taste tobacco. Granted, however, it's an aromatic rather than, say, a Blockade Runner. Rumcake truly tastes like rum cake, rather than a shot of rum over some tobacco.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, sallow -- you're not hijacking at all. I've only had the one bowl of the Nut Brown Burley. I wasn't blown away by it, but it was definitely as good, though slightly different from Uhle's burleys.
I haven't had the Rum Cake, but I've heard others rave about it.
Peck, I don't know whether she ships to Canada, but the Vermont Maple Cavendish is worth trying. On the few rare occasions that I smoke aromatics, it's usually in one of my inexpensive pipes (mostly older British "second" lines from Comoy, Orlik, et al.), but there was something really enjoyable (and decadent) about loading up one of my favorite high-end pipes with a sweet aromatic. I guess I felt like I was getting away with something I really shouldn't be doing. In any case, sweet tobacco + nice grain + a thin cumberland stem = 1 great smoke.

Dec 24, 2012
So Pitch, if I was going to get the sampler pack, which should I get? Keeping in mind that the only aro I really smoke is the odd bowl of Trout Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.