PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'm coming down to SFO for a week. Won't have much of a transportation means :-( Can anyone recommend a good pipe store/tobacconist close to the Financial District, now that Grants has closed forever?
Much appreciated!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
The only good one I know of is Piedmont Tobacconist it's pretty close to the BART station if I remember correctly and definitely worth a stop. They have a nice selection of pipes from various makers. There tin selection is good especially their McClellend tins which you can find some with quite a lot of age and priced at their old prices which might be lower then some online retailers also they have a fantastic bulk selection including SG blends and G&H blends, including some of the harder to find stuff. An added bonus is the owners are very nice, last time I was there the women gave me a sample of '99 Chrisas Cheer :)

Another option is to stalk Mr. Pease find his home and demand a tin of his personal stash hahaha that may extend your stay longer than you had hoped and in slightly worse conditions.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Sorry, can not help ya. I am about an hour south of where you will be. You will be able to enjoy some of the best Chinese food on the west coast in S.F. China town is just down the street!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind answers. I might not be able to make the 1 hour trip to Oakland from my hotel though :-( As to stalking Mr. Pease, I should give that consideration, as one of my major goals while being in SFO was to track down some Pease blends, which are unavailable here in Canada (gimme Westminster!!!!)

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Marty Pulvers' old shop, Sherlock's Haven, is closed, but a cigar/tobacco shop opened in its place. The place is called The Humidor. It's more of a cigar store, but they have a small selection of tins and some bulk blends. If you're going to be in the financial district anyway, they're located on Battery Street. Grant's was much better, but every once in a while you find something decent at The Humidor.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Just a quick recap, now that I'm back from SFO.
The Humidor in downtown SF (Financial District) doesn't seem to sell a lot of pipe tobacco and has a pretty over-the-top stock. We are talking Penzance (8oz bags!), Dunbar, And-So-To-Bed, Margrate, FVF, BBF, etc., which are usually extremely hard to come by.
The best shop is still Edward's down in the Valley (Palo Alto). Seem like Marty is a regular visitor there. I just LOVE that store! And the owner is such a friendly pal. It's a must-visit, for sure!
Across all the shops in the area, the store owners were sold out completely on anything GL Pease. Word on the street is that they are not willing to pay the 1,500$ licensing fee to the State of California to import Pease blends now that they've moved. Which is kind of ironic since Greg appears to live right in that area...
P.S.: Oakland is a pretty sketchy neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.