PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Out of curiosity, how frequently have you all seen others enjoying their pipe in public? I personally find that I rarely have the time to smoke my pipe on a typical workday, though I sure do try my best. I do not believe that I have ever witnessed another pipe smoker out in public. So, is anyone here lucky enough to have seen/meet other pipers while out and about, or are we a dying breed?

I don’t smoke a pipe in public (Because I generally do not have 1 hour to spend in public). I have once smoked in a parking lot on a nice summer day - since my son was in class, and I had one hour to pick him up. It was ok, but not great.
Only other person I have seen smoking a pipe properly, whom I know, is a colleague more than 10 years ago, who used to smoke in office. I don’t like his style of smoking - smoking for 10 minutes and then putting out the pipe, is not my cup of tea.
I used to smoke a pipe in college for cheap nicotine fix - not for the pleasure of enjoying a pipe smoke. One of my close friends copied me, but he stopped when I stopped
Lastly I almost got into an accident when a pipe smoker, (only pipe smoker I have seen in the wild) veered into our lane, in the process of lighting a pipe. I was in an UBER that day, and the UBER lady did a good save.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Dont think I've ever came across another pipe smoker in public, with the exception of within the tobacco store. And even then, its usually guys enjoying cigars and not a pipe. Then again, it's only very rarely will I even take my pipe out in public. But I tend to get a reaction when I have.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I enjoy a pipe pretty much whenever and where ever I feel like it. But, I'm a wildlife photographer so, my out in public is probably different than yours. When I was a cop, many years ago, I often smoked a pipe while in my "G" ride, cigars while on foot patrol to keep the drunks and 10-32's at bay. and cigarettes other other times.
Even back in the day (60-80's) seeing another pipe smoker in public was very rare. At university though, lots of guys smoked or, at least had pipes in their jaws at parties. It was the only way to compete for the coeds against the TA's and professors not worried bout the ethics of it all.

Reactions: Lyle b

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very rare hereabouts in central N.C. I occasionally see people in their vehicles puffing cigarettes, the rare cigar, and a pipe maybe once. I hailed an old fella marching through the grocery parking lot with a pipe, but when I asked him about his blend, he darted away, saying he smoked Prince Albert as he fled. People smoke at the pipe shop, but that's not really in public. I have often noted that pipes don't show up in flea markets and yard sales (etc.) around here. I think it was cigarette country. There is a large state university campus in town, so there are hookah places and you see the student vaping now and then, but mostly not.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Pretty rare to see someone on a tobacco pipe around here. Cigars are more common. Aside from the car, I rarely smoke a pipe in public myself. If I'm at a BBQ or some other outdoor event where I can smoke, it's usually a cigar for me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve seen two people smoking a pipe in their cars here and one guy on a forklift at a customers site.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I can count the number on one hand. Oddly, the guy I see most often is an older fellow that if I had to guess would say is an old vet living rough in the outskirts of town. I've seen him walking in from the hills in the morning with a rucksack and a cob pipe and then sitting in the parks or on benches in the old town during the day. Seems to be a contented man and keeps himself to himself until evening when he heads back up to the hills. It's possible he lives simply up there in a house or cabin or such, but for some reason I always see him and think he's living rough, but not in any way that suggests it isn't by choice. He never bothers anybody and seems to while away the days watching folks scurry about their business while smoking his cob and occasionally reloading it from a 1-lb bag of Smoker's Pride or such from his pack.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Occasionally, I used to see a guy out in front of the local Starbucks who would be smoking a pipe. That was a few years ago. Not sure what happened to him.
I think smoking a pipe is kind of an introspective, thoughtful process that lends itself to solitude.
I like being by myself when I'm smoking. I can focus on the flavors and enjoy it more.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
redglow wrote

I think smoking a pipe is kind of an introspective, thoughtful process that lends itself to solitude.
I like being by myself when I'm smoking. I can focus on the flavors and enjoy it more.

Fully agree.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess I've been smoking for too many decades. I can still fully enjoy my tobacco while carrying on a conversation.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I never see another pipe smoker here in the Colorado mtns. When I do smoke in public, I'm usually ask how I can afford to put that much pot in my pipe at one time. Maybe I just look like a derelict hippy. I have had several people say they smoked a pipe in the past but quit. You know, the evil tabacco will kill you if you are even smelling the 2nd hand smoke and all. The press is doing a great job of convincing the public sheep of this great hazard to us all. And we must think of the bad example we are setting for the children.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Only 2 times in the last 30 years...one a friend who comes to visit whom I met through a pipe forum and when I look in the mirror...that is it.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
There's an older fella in the same village as me that smokes a pipe, he's always got it on the go and is a one blend smoker. I've tried to engage him in conversation several times but he's hard work, shame really as it would be nice to share a bowl or two.