PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
As my introduction explains I'm brand new to pipe smoking and started with an ultra cheap pipe I bought from a pound/dollar store (it literally cost me £1).
Now, please, before you dismiss me as a joke I can assure you that even with a pipe that is practically a toy, it was enough to tell me I want to peruse this, and for that reason I'm looking to buy a real pipe (within my very limited budget, of course)
Anyway, the question I have is this: Should I automatically avoid pipes that have any kind of 'basket' insert in the bowl? I'm guessing these are for weed smokers, but that's all it is - a guess.
Thanks in advance.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You are correct. There are many good briar pipes to be had for $50 or so. Basket pipes (those unmarked ones in tobacco shops) can run less. Don't settle for anything less than a briar pipe. Unless you like smoking vegetables, and then you can grab a piece of corn, but I recommend briar for new guys.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I was considering this as my first 'real' pipe. As I say in my other post I'm a massive fan of the smaller pipe.
tumblr_pl30lb0HYS1w9drs0o1_400.png

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I would avoid any plastic pipes (that usually have that metal basket in the bowl). I have one cheap Chinese pipe, Fenshun, and when I realised that the only non plastic part was the "basket" I put it away immediately. I would recommend briar or corncob.

Life is too short for bad smokes. :)

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I would avoid any plastic pipes (that usually have that metal basket in the bowl).
Thanks. This is was the answer I was expecting. At least I know now.
What's the make of that one?
I'm not sure, @olkofri, it just lists it as a 'Knights Pear Wood Budget Beginners Pipe 01'
Unsure of linking rules, but I can provide the website URL if need be.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I would start with a briar and not pear wood, however the pear is a big step up from the dollar store pipe, which I think is not intended for weed, most likely opium before weed, but they are tobacco pipes although best suited to be a stage prop.

Also the briar is a good step up in price but worth it and I'd take the cheapest briar over a high end pear... even proby a $5 cob over $20+ pear. But as most others seem to agree, Briar is your best option for a first good pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've never had a pear wood pipe. I'm interesting in acquiring one, however. Thus, I've been reading a bit up on them. If you do go the pear route, make sure the pipe has thick walls, as pear wood gets hotter than briar. The one you posted seems to meet this requirement.
Some swear by cobs. I'm not anti-cob, point in fact I've a few and one of them, a MM Morgan, has become a bit of a favourite. Cobs have the advantages that they tend to ghost less, smoke cool, are dirt cheap, and need no cake built. That being said, I still consider a briar far superior to any cob. My advice is the same I was given when I went to the local tobacconist to buy my first pipe: a fellow customer advised me to 'buy the best pipe you can afford'. I agree, don't skimp. If your given budget is $XX, then don't hesitate to spend it all on a good briar pipe. A quality briar that you take good care of will last you a lifetime.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Linking is OK, unless you're linking to your own online store.
Budget pipes at The Backy Shop UK
It would take too long to address everyone individually, so just a bit more on my budget and thoughts on the cob, as this seems to be the theme of the last few replies.
Now I understand some will insist the smoke is more important than the look, but the simple truth is I'm not keen on the cob's look. If I'm going to have this thing stuck under my nose twice a day, for 20 minutes a time, I'd like to be attracted to the look and feel of it.
Budget... now here's where it gets difficult and I suspect when people start telling me to forget the idea of piping up until I can afford something half decent. Truth is my budget is practically non-existent. Consider this - I'm contemplating buying the above pictured pear wood pipe at £9.99 (about $12.80) and wondering if I can afford it. Embarrassing to admit, but there you go.
Now I know that's all the more reason to go for a cob, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.
What tobacco have you tried ?
Embarrassing again, but so far it's been the stuff pulled from those mini cigars like Cafe Creme and such. Getting pipe tobacco in the UK is proving to be difficult. There's no tobacconists in my area and there's only one high-street newsagents that sells the loose stuff (about £9 for a 25g bag) which I discovered today. If he told me what it was called, I've forgotten, but it smelt nice and creamy.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I hope I don't confuse the issue by adding more options. Missouri meerschaum has a few hardwood versions that may better suit your taste, priced similar to cobbs. Also you might consider a clay pipe, some of which are available for less than $10. Also why not an estate (used) pipe from online or a thrift/antique shop?

Lastly in a real pinch u could use a rolling paper, although not a pipe, its the cheapest way to ingest pipe tobacco if your not able to purchase a pipe.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Sorry I just saw the last part where you explain your method. Rather than pick apart cigars why not jyst smoke them as is and save for a briar? Although if you cant obtain propper pipe tobacco why bother at all? There's no shame in smoking cigarillos.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
As others have said, I'd get a cob. Then save up for a brair and if you want to try pear then by all means do. I have one I carved from a hobby block that is pear wood and it's a decent smoker. I dont think there is anything wrong with pear. Thinking about carving one from scratch outta apple wood soon. Also remember that the best pipes in the world are the ones you like the looks of and how they smoke for you regardless of the price.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Now I understand some will insist the smoke is more important than the look, but the simple truth is I'm not keen on the cob's look. If I'm going to have this thing stuck under my nose twice a day, for 20 minutes a time, I'd like to be attracted to the look and feel of it.

Indeed; I too disagree with those who say the looks are unimportant. To me, looks matter a lot. Though I'm far from foppish, I do choose my pipes as carefully as I choose a tie or a suit. Speaking of which, I ain't keen on the cob's look either: to me, they do look rustic, even bumpkin-ish. I don't smoke a cob if I'm wearing a suit.
Pipe smoking is a personal activity. As some other member has said repeatedly, 'smoke what you like, like what you smoke', to which I add 'and smoke it in something you like'.
If briar is out of budget for the time being, I'd go with the pear pipe over a cob.
I see that MM's hardwood pipes have been mentioned. I did buy two of those a year ago, and so far I haven't touched them. I didn't like that their chambers are varnished. Some say that a pipe with a varnished chamber will smoke like an inferno, since the wood can't 'breathe'. I haven't been keen on subjecting my poor tongue to proving this right or wrong. But if right, I wouldn't recommend the MM hardwoods to a beginner piper—a scorched mouth is most unpleasant.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Sorry I just saw the last part where you explain your method. Rather than pick apart cigars why not jyst smoke them as is and save for a briar? Although if you cant obtain propper pipe tobacco why bother at all? There's no shame in smoking cigarillos.
Fair question. Cigars were my first venture into smoking (as a non smoker who's always liked the idea but never become addicted because of the inhaling part, I thought cigars would appeal). I tried the cigarillos for a while and enjoyed the experience, so then moved up and bought myself a large cigar for a deeper experience. I got through about a quarter of this thing and started to feel sick. I was sick for a whole day and a half and have never liked the thought of cigars since.
Smoking a pipe proved to be a whole different thing for me. For me it's more about the process of smoking a pipe than getting a nicotine hit or satisfying a habit. It puts me in a state of mind cigarillos couldn't even approach, which is why I want to experience this properly, with a decent pipe and proper tobacco.
As for checking the second-hand shops for estate pipes, this is certainly my next move when I go into town. Although I think UK second-hand shops are quite different to US thrift stores. It could well be that it's not something they even bother to take as donations.
Thanks to those who recommended tha MM's Hardwood. I'll go do some digging now.

Status
Not open for further replies.