PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A lady friend yesterday told me she had run across some net information that indicated some pipes are made from two halves being glued together. My response was to say "Humbug!" but on this weird world, who knows what might be possible. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have Brebbia Iceberg Canadian where it's clear the shank was made in two parts. The joint is covered by rustication. I've never heard of a pipe being manufactured in two halves though. That would be interesting to see.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nevah hoid of it! While possible, and maybe like veneering you join interesting grains together to form a symmetrical pattern, everything else is downside.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
One moment! Let me dig through the patents! There was actually a pipe made to come apart...in halves for easy cleaning! Be right back!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The Patent Link
US1488088-0.png

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I saw a pipe in Chicago...and can't remember who the maker was, but it had a snake shaped shank that was s-curved...and could only have been made by milling and gluing together the shank...That was fabulous...
However, the idea of gluing 2 halves of a pipe together is dumb....won't work and would leave you with a steaming pile of crap that would explode mid smoke...

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
You can actually drill that s-curve. While super difficult....it doesn't have to be glued. Someone a while back went through this in the forums asking how a particular pipe was made. While I don't know the details, would be nice if someone more knowledgeable explains how this works. If I remember correctly they mentioned a "Flexible drill bit." Confused me and altered my perspective quite a bit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Perhaps it was Ser Jacopo, drilling on a curve for their Insanus pipe(s). From an ad in GQ Tobaccos: "The shank sharply curves from the bowl at an angle of 90 degrees and thanks to the special drilling methods used, the air hole follows the unique shape."

Ser_Jacopo_Insanus_Poker_5__64812.1435245010.1280.1280.JPG

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You can actually drill that s-curve
You can definitely drill a curved airway using a curved guide tube and flexible bit. An S curve is a totally different animal. Never seen one. Don't think it exists…

2F4FA023-A4DB-4C95-8DA1-03078CC874D5_zpstuklx5gj.jpg

This Hilson is curve drilled. I have a flexible drill bit for lapidary, but the end bit is busted. Skip Elliot has had one made especially for drilling curves as well. It is a flexible shaft down a hollow curved tube with a bit on the end for chewing through the wood or stone. There are more available for masonry and lapidary work than woodwork, but they are out there.
BTW, I have only smoked this pipe about six times, and I am contemplating letting it go. It just doesn't suit my clenching style, but smokes very well. I am just not comfortable holding a pipe. If anyone might be interested, PM me. We can barter in private. But, I would accept a more than fair price.
I bought it mostly for the novelty of the curved drilled draft hole, which quickly loses it's novelty if you have to hold it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Graco used to make a pipe with an S curved shank/stem. I was going to buy one from P&C.com a couple of years ago, when then had one or two left, but didn't because I had read that they had serious moisture buildup problems when smoked. It was a great looking pipe though. They made it using a flexible bit.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have Brebbia Iceberg Canadian where it's clear the shank was made in two parts. The joint is covered by rustication.
Did you buy it new or estate? Sound like originally a smooth pipe with a broken shank, repaired and rusticated to camouflage the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.