PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This post is a long time coming. I have a buddy who is a Captain in the Marines. Last year he was prepping for deployment onto a ship and said he wanted to do something cool for his junior officers, pipe wise. We deided on Peterson Draculas. I had the bands engraved with their unit info. So he purchased the two pipes and I took care of the rest. He had also mentioned to me that there were some other pipe smoking guys in the unit so I started setting aside some of the donations to the Free Pipe Project. And a pipe someone had offered up to go specifically to a vet or active military. I sent the pipes last fall and they were blown away. Also cool I surprised my buddy with a Pete Dracula too, donated by Sparrowhawk. They are now home from deployment safe and sound. Here is a pic of what they got.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm pretty sure the pipe for a Vet came from Samcoffeeman. And the other nice pipes were from Briarblues. There was also an unsmoked Zhan Ping with matching tamper from Briarblues. I just made sure they went to the right place. Also the Old Cajun donated a very cool USMC lighter that was sent over after they had deployed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, talk about a win-win project. The Marines get these great pipes and tobaccos to enjoy in their off-hours from arduous and sometimes risky duty, but almost as good, they are dashing young dudes smoking pipes, which has to give a boost to, and whole new picture of pipe smokers to onlookers. Big score for the Corps and tobacco pipes. Maybe mention Forums if any of the Marines are interested in finer points in this adventure.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
As a former Marine and a Vietnam veteran I can tell with certainty that the greatest gesture one can make is to tell you through their actions that the sacrifices our military make are indeed appreciated. Great job and count me in next time. Dutch

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
I am a Gulf War vet and have been to Iraq and Afghanistan several times since. Please let me know next time you put something like this together. I'd like to chip in.
Jon

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
I'd love to contribute if you ever put together another one of these overseas packages again.
One of my twin sons is a freshly minted 2nd john currently going through The Basic School at Quantico.
Participating in an outgoing parcel to jarheads would mean something to my family and we'd come heavy. (Of course, we'll do the same with other deployed branches.)
Hey, Dutch? Thank you.
Fnord

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Cool thanks guys. I actually have a pipe disciple at Marine Boot Camp right now. I can see a future care pack going out to him especially if he converts his fellow marines. I'll keep you posted.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I did not know Jarheads could figure out how to smoke a pipe. Must be a field manual, with LOTS, of stick figure pics to explain it to them LMAO!!
To my Jarhead brethren, US Army Airborne Infantryman 8yrs all on the line here, and goodness know the shots back and forth are always fun. Just so you know it wasn't some fricking civvie flapping at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.