PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've pretty much always had good experiences with pipe people, both individuals and store, mail order, etc. (with the noted exception of one pipe maker) but recently had two exceptionally pleasant experiences. Earlier in the year I sent Rich Lewis 3 or 4 pipes for repair. If you don't know Rich, he's the authorized repair person for most major pipe brands imported into the U.S including, Ser Jacopo, Viprati, Ashton, Radice, Becker, Upshall, and El Ceppo. He handles the repair for the shop I used to work at an his work is just beautiful. Given the quality of his work and the fact that he has his own store, he is very busy and when I sent the pipes, he told me he was backed up a few months which was fine by me. After a while I emailed him to remind him about the repairs and he said he hadn't a chance to touch them but that he would get them the ASAP. A few weeks later, 2 of the pipes showed up in the mail. I called him up and he said he'd work on the other 2 when he got back from a show but that he wanted me to have these two now, we'd settle up when they were all done! Pretty impressive to find a repairman more concerned with his customers enjoyment than payment.
Just when I thought Rich was unique in the world, along comes another. I dropped 5 pipes off with Tim West at the Columbus Pipe Show. He said he'd have them done in a couple of months. He called me on Saturday to tell me he had shipped my pipes back and what the payment was. I said I'd pay him today and did but get home and there is a notice from the post office that the package has arrive and needs signature. I found it pretty impressive that both men have enough integrity to assume they would be paid and assume you'll have the integrity to pay them. We need more men like this in the world. Its a pleasure dealing with them.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Awesome stories myst! I love the fact that there are still some business man that are willing to trust their customers. Too bad that too many customers take advantage of honest business men...

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Tim is and remains my go to guy for repairs. You should see the work he does on cracked/broken shanks. How he gets that band on that tight is beyond me.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
A couple of my experiences with different repairmen...
Earlier this year I sent a pipe off to Dave Wolff at Walker Briar Works for some work. I have never met or done any business with Dave before that time. I was concerned about payment, since I was using a check. I told him he could hold the pipe until the check cleared. He said he would ship the pipe back when it was finished and I could pay then. He told me he has only ever missed one payment from a customer in all the years he has done pipe repairs....and that gentleman died. Dave decided not to submit a bill to the estate.
Classy.
This summer I had an Ebay won Jobey Dansk arrive home with the stem superglued into the shank. I called Frank Storm to see about getting on his repair list. He said he was going to be home for a week and to ship the pipe. Stacy, Minnesota is only about four hours away. I mailed the pipe and received it back in two days. This means Frank had to have repaired my pipe the same day he got it from me. Fantastic service. Frank was Savinelli's US authorised repairman and used to run his own shop before he retired.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Here, here pipetrucker. All these wonderful people are a good example of Masters within their trade. We unfortunately live in a 'disposable age' where it is easier to throw stuff away and get a new one. It is so refreshing to see that people like these repair men still operate because it is a dying art.

I have an obsession with repairing broken things myself. I refuse to throw anything away unless it cannot be fixed either by myself or a professional.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
Good to know that there's still good, hardworking people around!
BTW hauntedmist, i thought you might enjoy this photo!
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lacwojuQx91qzabkfo1_500.jpg
~as it is your avatar picture!! :D

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Of course, the other end of the integrity spectrum is obvious in the box pass diasters.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Over the years, I've sent my Meerschaums to Floyd Norwood for repair. His

work is high quality, fast turnaround and very reasonably priced. I send him

the Pipe(s) and he returns them with the repairs accomplished, usually with a

7 day turnaround, and the bill is in the package with the Pipes. He's been

repairing Pipes for 35 years or so, and is from the old school of business

practice. He's the only guy I know that knows what he's doing with bone screw

connectors, which my older Pipes have and some of my newer Pipes he's installed

for me.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
There's something very special about walking into a pipe shop, saying "Good afternoon, gentlemen" and having everyone in the room respond with kindness. This truly is a fraternity.

casper223

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
Hmmm, This is good to know, I own a Camenetto, with a broken Tenon that is stuck in the shank. I really need to find someone who can repair it for me, without sending it back to italy. But he doesn't say anything about Caminettos on his web site.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I wanted to try a couple of those nice "Forever Stems" from Walker Briar Works for a couple of my M-M cobs. I ordered and got them soon, but they didn't fit! I emailed Dave there and he said my pipes must be drilled smaller diameter than usual and he'd fix it up. I sent him the pipes and the stems and he fit them for me. A satisfied customer here! Thanks again, Dave. (The stems are a great improvement, BTW.)

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I use a wood carving store that sends supplies and a bill with it,you pay exact freight too. I love guys like that, it's too bad the world can't take a step back and be decent to one another. The store is called The Woodcraft Shop in Bettendorf Iowa 800-397-2278. Everything for the traditional and contemporary woodcarver.

Status
Not open for further replies.