PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Hello seen a pipe called a long champ stamped with 'france' on it. Anyone know why the pipe is incased in leather? Is it just for cosmetics or does it serve a functional purpose?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think those pipes have gone in and out of fashion over the span of several decades. They used to be more common in the '60s, though I don't think they've ever been wildly popular. They may be somewhat cooler to the touch; and they certainly obviate the need for fine finishing of the wood -- or even the use of attractive wood, for that matter. Of course, if, like this guy, you smoke while swinging through the trees, you might want some leather to protect your pipe bowl.

tarzan7.jpg

Here's a thread from 2 years ago on that topic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Longchamps, made in France were known for the leather coverings. I'm hoping to get to see former Maryland Governor Marvin Mandel in the coming weeks. He was a Longchamps fan and almost never photographed without one. He's 91 now and has quit smoking. He invited me (thru my wife's political connection) to his mansion to see his pipe collection. He no longer smokes and told me he is giving pipes away and to come see him. Naturally, I said yes. I hope to do so in the next two weeks and I'll document the visit.
1000x1000.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Longchamp is a leather company in France. My understanding is that they purchased pipes, unknown from which maker, and covered them in their signature leather. I do not believe they are doing pipes any longer.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I have seen these out during my pipe hunting expeditions and can't bring myself to get one. They are unique looking, but very ugly in my opinion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My old Ropp, leather covered and meerschaum lined was a grand smoker. I have no idea as to the what the bowl was, the rim was tight grained, could have been cherry for all I know. The meer liner was not block of course. But, the darned thing smoked smooth and cool, fit my fist and my eye well, and rode lightly between the molars, which is all I really ask of a pipe.
It was a nice sized billiard which is a shape I no longer find eye pleasing so the pipe eventually disappeared. Could be around the house somewhere I suppose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting idea, maybe looks well-insulated. I think they are fetching for about fifteen seconds, but I

wouldn't want to own one. Kind of affected. No useful reason.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i own a leather bound pipe from my smoking days in the 60's - very good smoker - smoked the original erinmore only in it - havent used it since the 70's - took it to my mouth & this is 40 years late still taste the original erinmore - now that is ghosting but it still retains the sweet flavour from the erinmore.

the leather is old & the name stamped on the side is not readable. the stitching is worn & open but the leather is well shaped tightly around the bowl & part of shank - still tastes good.

bought a new one supposed to be of that era but definitely not the same flavour.
regards guys - watch out for that snow storm -

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have a longchamp, leather is in good shape, nice thick walls but still light, smokes with little effort. The stingers screw right out so no problem there. I have sold a few in the last month and there seems to be some demand like people will pay more than 10 bucks for them in decent condition.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Longchamp is now a French luxury leather-goods company, but it started with these leather clad pipes in 1948.
Pipedia has a good article of them: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Longchamp
Apparently Elvis had one:

EBPLEVl.jpg

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
foggymountain said:

They cover an inferior piece of briar--

pits, defects, bad grain. Stay away.
I've never owned or even seen one, but according to one highly respected pipe-knowledgeable guy's book he bought one and removed the leather to find that such was not the case at all ... he ended up restoring the pipe and reported that it was a wonderful smoker ...

reorob

Lurker
May 6, 2014
I found this thread researching this kind of pipe. I found an unsmoked meerschaum lined, leather wrapped pipe with the original box at an antique store last week. It was called a 'Merlin distributed by Dunhill" according to the box. The price was a modest $38 and although I have mixed feelings about leather wrapped pipes and meerschaum lined ones, I have not been able to get it out of my head. I can not find a darn thing on it though.

May 31, 2012
Hey Reorob, that sounds pretty cool, big bonus it had the box!
Does it say Made in Kenya like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Merlin-35-f-Parker-Tobacco-Pipe-Made-in-Kenya-Meerschaum-Lined-Unsmoked-/271452149508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f33cf1704
I almost bought that pipe, I'm glad to find out that they were distributed by Dunhill because I was curious about the nomenclature.
Sorry I don't have more information.

May 31, 2012
...a little more:
1_dec66e8a64275a38d8d9f9beb8ad8c1b.jpg

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2-rare-parker-merlin-pipes-with-original-case
Merlin shows up on pipephil.eu as being an Oppenheimer group, made in association with Tanganyika.

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-m4.html#merlin
But at some point it was Parker who distributed them, this makes more sense because of the nomenclature,

and the Dunhill cousin connection.
Here's an old advert:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1301&dat=19601115&id=zvljAAAAIBAJ&sjid=v-UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2926,4937071
A tobacco trade magazine I have from 1962 lists them as being available from the Parker Pipe Co. also.
Here's another one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MERLIN-5-A-MADE-IN-KENYA-FROM-DARK-BRIAR-/380866832763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ad6ea97b&nma=true&si=iNUuQ9Nj0ALWwJI9dhbbBNfXKmw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My first pipe purchased in 1972.... I bought it because I didn't know anything about pipe smoking, but it was just different. It's actually a very poor shape for tamping, and just a bad design all around. (You can't see from the small photo, but the bowl is oval shaped.)

Status
Not open for further replies.