PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I recently purchased an estate Comoy second Royal Coachman and upon receiving the pipe when I suck or puff through the pipe it makes a whistling noise. I was wondering if this was normal or if there is anything to do to help it from doing this.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Is it new? If so there may be a piece of briar still in the shank or at the bottom of the bowl. If it's in the bottom of the bowl you should be able to scrape it out or like I have done in the past use a U shaped carving tool to remove it. If it's in the shank, I'm not sure what you could do if it is still attached. Maybe drill it out (he said sheepishly) or just take or send it back and ask there is something that can be done.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
No it's an estate pipe idk what to do. I suppose it is normal it's not a whistle whistle just a little more than a sucky sound.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This is a common occurrence on quite a few inexpensive pipes (and some not so inexpensive pipes). Sometimes it has to do with different diameters in the airway. Like a slight difference in the sizes of the hole between the shank and the stem. It is annoying, but nothing to really worry about.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Really, the proof is in the smoking. Like Bob says, it's not unusual.
I've got a Duca Carlo that whistles when empty and it's a great little smoker that I'm attached to.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks guys I will let you know how it smokes!
Bubbadreier haha ya or the smell :P she doesn't like the smell on my breath but loves the smell on my clothes haha.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The whistle is probably a little air by passing the stem at the bowl . Try wetting the stem where it meets the shank of the bowl with saliva before you smoke . A good trick to tighten a loose stem is .Before a good rain remove the stem from a pipe and the wood will swell with the humidity . Then reinsert the stem and the wood will draw down on the stem as it drys . The trick works well with a three or four day rain .

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
That is a good tip igloo! I usually just wet the inside of the shank with saliva before I smoke, that usually tightens it up for about a week.... How long does the rain trick work?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sometimes it takes 3 or four times . Works well for pipes left in the car that get baked . Big rain coming your way , give it a try .

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Here's a trick to tighten a stem for quite awhile. Rub bee's wax on the tenon and reinsert it with a twisting motion to evenly coat the mortice. When the pipe is smoked, some of the wax is absorbed into the mortice just as your saliva or moisture from the rain is and the stem is snugged up. I've had this treatment last for up to a year.
As for the whistle, have the pipe "opened up" by a professional repairman if it bothers you.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Any craft shop worth it's beans should have it. If you live near an ocean, try surf shops, perhaps even the craft section of Walmart, K-Mart or Target.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Another source of white Beeswax is a fabric store. Quilters use it

to strengthen their threads.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Have a look for a high quality tinned furniture wax polish that has both carnauba wax and beeswax in it. That way you can use it to do as Chuck recommends, plus you can use it to put a nice shine on your bowl.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Have a look for a high quality tinned furniture wax polish that has both carnauba wax and beeswax in it. That way you can use it to do as Chuck recommends, plus you can use it to put a nice shine on your bowl.

pstlpkr said drill the shank (he said sheepishly), but that is not such a bad idea if you have a 'Senior Pipe Reamer'. It's a great tool for anyone that buys estate pipes. One of the integrated tools that comes with the Senior, is a nice little hand drill bit. This will remove any build up of carbon on the inside of the shank and MAY solve the problem. A Senior can be picked up in the US for about $15 to $20 and they even have a 'Set' that has a few more tools in it, for $50ish. I got one a few months ago and it is a nice tool that does the job well. And as an estate pipe buyer, I wouldn't be without it.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I purposely left out drilling the shank because I have no idea how experienced Wallbright is in pipe restoration. One can ruin a pipe if they don't take care or aren't sure of what they are doing. I watched a "professional" repairman drill through the bottom of a really nice Pre-Republic sandblast Peterson 313. That is why I suggested using a professional repairman if the whistle bothered him. The "pro' I saw ruin that 313 is no longer in the pipe repair business.

Excav8tor's suggestion about the Senior reamer is a good one. It can be adjusted for taper drilled bowls. I use both it and the Pip-net set.

Status
Not open for further replies.