PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pux3

Lurker
Feb 7, 2013
I'm new to pipesmoking and so far I've tried 2 different tobaccos in my pipe

Both tasted, if anything like ash.

The first one I tried was very cheap aromtaic and all the reviews I found on the internet were really bad but the second one received good feedback (W.O. Larsen 2013) and I am asking myself if I'm doing anything wrong?

Could it be the pipe (new, 30 euro at local tobacconist)?

When reading about pipesmoking it is mostly described as being delicious and so far my experience with it was definitely not.

I thought about trying another tobacco. Since I havn't tasted anything so far, I'm primarily looking for a tobacco with gets me at least some taste. Any recommendations? A friends dad said I should try Nightcap, do you agree?
Thank you for reading,

Jonas
Not native speaker so please excuse errors

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have not smoked the blend in question, nor can I find reviews of it, so I can't comment on it. Larsen tends to do Danish style aromatics, IIRC.
I can think of several things to mention, however.
Since you are a new smoker,I have to wonder about your smoking technique. One of the most important things a new smoker needs to learn is to smoke slowly. Sip it,don't take huge gulps. You may well be dealing with subtle flavors that will be lost if you puff on it like a train.
Your pipe is not broken in. This takes time. You are going to need to smoke a number of bowls in it before it will start smoking properly.
Also,make sure you are cleaning your pipe. Run a couple of cleaners through it after every smoke. Then let it rest - don't load it back up right away.
Patience is a virtue when it comes to pipe smoking, as it is in most other things in life. Good luck!
(ETA: Nightcap is pretty powerful stuff, and may not be the best choice for a new smoker!)

Jul 15, 2011
First off, welcome to the forum!
A new pipe always requires A "break in" period where the wood absorbs enough moisture and builds enough carbon to make the smoke taste the way it should, and this could often take anywhere from 10-15 bowl fulls before it really starts to shine. Also, being new to pipes and not knowing what you are supposed to be tasting probably doesnt help. The thing you should remember is to smoke slow, dont let the pipe get too hot and just trust your taste buds. This is a process that takes some time, so just stick with it and dont expect an AHA! moment right off the bat, because its not going to happen. As for tobacco recommendations? Nightcap is good for some, may or may not be good for you. Experiment and get yourself some English, Burley, Virginia, Aromatic, and all other kinds of tobacco to see what you may or may not like. Its not about the destination, its about the journey. Happy smoking and good luck!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 Pipe Novelist
You may want to do some reading about the various types of tobaccos Pipe Novelist mentioned.

A little knowledge about the characteristics of those types will go a long way in helping you taste and identify what it is you are actually smoking.
Welcome aboard!

Your English is quite good, so don't worry about that.

I studied German for two years... and don't speak it well enough to get my face slapped. :D
Ihr Englisch ist ziemlich gut, also keine Sorgen machen.

Ich studierte zwei Jahre lang Deutsch ... und sprechen Sie nicht gut genug, um mein Gesicht geschlagen.
:D

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello and welcome, Jonas!
I'm also a new pipe smoker - just started in December - and I'm finding that it's a little like when I started drinking beer. When I turned 21, a friend of mine who'd been drinking for years took me to a couple of bars and I tried several different beers, none of which I liked. I figured it was partly the "acquired taste" thing, but after trying a few more, figured that I just didn't like beer.
Turns out I just don't like the particular styles of beer that my friend was introducing me to - American-style lager/pilsner. Once I was introduced to Belgian Ales, it was a whole new experience - and now I'm a homebrewer as well (and I'll even drink lager on a hot day...).
It's been the same way for me with tobacco - fortunately, I got a good recommendation for my first one, but the next two I tried were just sort of okay. If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a sampler of several different types of tobacco (check the forums for information - I'm not a reliable source). Just an ounce or two, and don't necessarily judge by a single bowl. One of the blends that I bought that I initially thought was pretty bad turned out to be not half bad once I got over the cold I didn't realize I still had... and one that I thought was just okay the first time is rapidly becoming a favorite that I'll probably order in larger quantities once I can afford more.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

I'm a newbie too and what I think was a great help was buying a corncob pipe( no break in required AND inexpensive!!!!) with some tobacco that smokes great on it (heart and home classic burley kake). I got this from pipes and cigars.com
This combination was the best investment because you wouldn't have the issue of a pipe that needed break in and tabaco that tasted great.
Also working on smoking slow and keeping the tobacco not too tight or too loose on the pipe so it burns good.
Good luck!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do you have experience with other forms of tobacco smoking?

Haben Sie Erfahrung mit anderen Formen des Tabakkonsums?
Tobacco is an acquired taste. Give it some time.

Tabak ist ein erworbener Geschmack. Gib es einige Zeit dauern.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
pux3:
Welcome!
Well, I would never describe pipe smoking as "delicious." You are tasting smoke, so it's possible that that may taste a little like "ash" to you. But different tobacco leaves do have distinct flavors that I think, in time, you will come to appreciate and find very satisfying. "Delicious" might be too much to ask, but "satisfying" is certainly possible. And some tobaccos lead me to use words like "rich," "creamy," "spicy," and many more.
If you are only trying aromatics, you will discover very quickly that the aroma in the tin and in the room does not come through in the smoke. You may get hints, and it will certainly be pleasant for you to smell. But you won't likely experience much flavor from such blends. For real flavor, I think you'll need to try non-aromatics (which are all I smoke). You might enjoy a straight Virginia or a Virginia/burley blend more than a latakia-based blend at this point (since latakia is known for its smoky, campfire aroma and flavor -- which might just taste like even more ash to you! :) .

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sorry, but this occurred to me after I posted:
It's possible that I've actually described a blend as "delicious" in a review or in my notes. But I think it's important to keep in mind that such words need to be read in the context of the overall flavor of tobacco. A "delicious" tobacco is still going to taste like tobacco. It may be that the actual act of smoking is quite different-tasting than what you expected it to be and that's causing you some frustration. If you're going to smoke a pipe -- and enjoy it -- you need to actually like the taste of tobacco.
Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting that that's the case in your situation. I would definitely encourage you to try a variety of blends before making a decision like that. But, much as it pains me to say it, it's possible that some folks simply don't like the flavor of tobacco.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Honestly, I suggest starting like I did....with Cigars. A lot of the folk around here are pipe only and will disagree, and a lot of Cigar folk don't dabble with pipes. However, for those who like both (which I think COULD be anyone, many just choose not to be) or willing to try both, which I hope is your case as a beginner, I think starting w/ the cigars is the best bet. Reasons being 1) Lighting and Smoking is easier with a cigar - less of a learning curve there. And, 2) Cigars tend to have stronger flavors (Fuller Bodied) than pipes, so since your taste buds aren't used to picking out flavors from smoke (and are currently just tasting the smoke...or ash), having something with a stronger flavor will be harder for your taste buds to miss it. Once you start to "get" the flavor with some stogies, then light up the briar again. Just from smoking the cigars, you'll have already trained yourself somewhat on smoking slowly, and you'll know better the type of flavors you may find in tobacco. Thus, you'll be able to focus on the lighting, tamping, and sipping without thinking too much about what you're supposed to taste, but just enjoy what you do taste!
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.