Pipe Tobacco With Cigar Leaf, What's Good?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some blends have cigar leaf as part of their mix. Do you like cigar leaf in pipe

blends? Or do you think you would? And if you do, what blends with cigar leaf

do you enjoy? And if you don't, why not? It might be a nice nostalgia trip to when

I smoked cigars, but as a part of my rotation, I'm not so sure. Do you want a little

whiff of cigar in your briar?

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I enjoy having cigar blends in my regular rotation. In fact, I've dedicated a Chris Morgan Briar Cigar to this blend in keeping with the theme. Right now I am smoking H&H's Virgina Spice, which is quite good. It has a slight tangy, citrusy smell that translates into the flavor for the first half of the bowl.
There are many others cigar blends to consider by folks like C&D, McClleland, H&H, Robert Lewis, etc.
In short, I like it.
SA

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Billy Budd. The cigar leaf provides the odd puff of chocolate that a maduro wrapper can provide. My every day blend.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Virginia spice sounds really good! I was just looking at that the other day. Only cigar blend I have tried is billy bud, not bad. I should give it another try.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love pipes and enjoy an occasional cigar, but I've found that I don't much enjoy the combination of the two. So, for me, Key Largo was way too cigar-y for my taste (though I love many GLP blends); I ended up trading away all of the tins I had. But I absolutely loved 123 Mixture from Robert Lewis, a brand that gets almost no mentions here. Regardless of how you feel about cigar leaf in a pipe-tobacco blend, I think 123 Mixture is a blend well worth trying. (But I'm guessing it's not going to deliver the kind of cigar taste some will be seeking.)
Bob

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
+1 on H&H Virginia Spice. When I want to smoke a cigar, that's what I'll light. Personally, I'm not a big fan of having the cigar leaf in my pipe tobacco. You got your peanut butter in my chocolate. VS IMO is basically Louisiana Red with cigar leaf. It's nice and spicy from the reds and Perique with a Maduro after taste. Many of the C&D products seem to have a cigar leaf after taste, even if it’s not listed. G.L. Pease has some blends with cigar leaf with Key Largo the most noted, and he does list it if present.
Craig

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I do like Key Largo. It can be a bit harsh if it is new, but with some age it mellows out a bit and the cigar comes through more.
I have some McClelland Glory Maduro but I haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to it this spring.

stanr-1113-600x448.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Compton's Cuban Style Mixture is the only cigar blend I like but Max is such a pain in the ass to deal with the jar I have is going to be my last. I blend and press 5:1 PSBS/chopped cigar. IMO it tastes good. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.