PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Just wrapped up a week in Barcelona and want to continue the series of pipe retailers around the world. Hope you find this interesting and helpful!
Spain is a smoking culture, full stop. Whist one sees smoking warnings on tobacco products and there are smoking bans indoors, that has not stopped the countless numbers of Spaniards enjoying cigarettes or cigars. So, if you are looking to take a trip to a place where smoking is readily accepted, book you tickets to Spain and be ready to smoke your pipe along with some freshly made Sangria or Estrella Damm beer.
In Barcelona (and I suspect in the rest of Spain) cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco are sold exclusively in "Tabac" shops. They are ubiquitous in Barcelona. One cannot walk more than two to three blocks in any direction without running into one.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6LjAteXG0pc/ULyfGSGoGxI/AAAAAAAANhE/no6_500UFdk/s320/photo+%252886%2529.JPG
I must admit that most shops sell and most Spaniards smoke cigarettes, with cigars a close second. While pipe tobacco is available, I only saw one Spaniard smoking a pipe. And Tabac shops vary in their quantity and selection. And therein lies the fun and challenge of finding pipe tobacco. All have the customary OTCs such as BR, Half and Half, Condor, and Clan, but I only found a few Tabac shops with an extensive supply of pipe tobacco. I found mostly Peterson, Samuel Gawith, Davidoff Scottish Blend, and MacBaren blends. Here they are, in no particular order:
Tabacs Casa Pastor http://www.nelso.com/es/place/335453/
A nice range of Peterson blends including University Flake and Sherlock Holmes. I picked up their last tin of Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, They also had Commonwealth.
Tabacs Catedral http://www.yelp.es/biz/estanco-de-la-catedral-barcelona
By far the largest selection I encountered. Had all of the Peterson blends and tons of SG blends (including FVF, Celtic, Navy Flake, and Squadron Leader). Also had lots of blends from a company I'd never heard of before named Ashton. After reading the reviews I picked up a tin of Artisan's Blend since I'm keen on trying perique. Highly recommended since the selection is so varied and since it is next to the Barcelona Cathedral (hard to miss if you visit).
Casa Fuster http://www.casa-fuster.com/en
Since they are one of the few tobacco shops that have their own website, I was excited about visiting this place. However, whilst their selection was good (picked up a tin of Peterson's Irish Flake and University Flake) it was still limited in comparison to Tabacs Catedral. Mainly Peterson and SG.
Gimeno http://www.gimenocigars.com
This shop is located on Las Ramblas, arguably the busiest and most crowded area of the city (watch your wallet here--pickpockets abound). Like Casa Fuster I was excited to drop by but was very disappointed in their selection. A few tins of Peterson aromatics and one tin of SG Best Brown (which I purchased) was all that was available. That being said, there were lots of empty spaces where it appeared other tobaccos would be stocked, so its likely that I caught them on a day before restocking took place.
The most fun I had was dropping into the various Tabacs shops and asking "Tiene tobacco para pipa?" They would always point to their selection--some was good (found a tin of MacBaren Virginia #1 and a 25 kg tin of Macbaren Scottish blend once) and some were bad--as in no pipe tobacco at all. But, it made it an adventure since I never knew what I'd find. Overall, Spaniards smoke cigarettes, cigars, and pipes--and in that order.
Prices were generally reasonable. Most Peterson and SG blends sold for 7.50 Euros ($10.27 as of this posting). Prices for pipes were another story. Most pipes sold for at least 100 Euros--even Prince Albert and Lorenzo pipes were in the $60-$70 price range. So, come to Spain and plan on purchasing some tobacco, but unless you've got some money to burn I'd stay away from the pipes.
In conclusion, if you have only a few days in Barcelona and want to do some pipe tobacco shopping, I would highly recommend Tabacs Catedral in front of the Barcelona Cathedral. By far the largest selection of tobacco and a good supply of pipes as well. Again, prices overall were generally good--a little higher than online in the US, but for you Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits, Spain may be the place to get your TAD on.
Disfrute!

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
+1000 Pipefish,
Barcelona is a fantastic place that is layered beautifully. The people and the city opens itself up to you over time. Gimenos is ok for Cigars but there's not too many bargains to be had and staying well clear of Las Ramblas is advised. Unless you like crowds, thieves and paying too much for things. There's not much better than sitting back on a rooftop after a nice late night meal of Tapas with a cold Mojito and a nice cigar while listening to the sounds of the city.
Just one question, how did you drag the 25kg tin of Mac B Scottish blend around? You'd need a wheelbarrow :)

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
@ auslander
Yeah, that was one big-ass tin of tobacco!! :rofl:
Actually, I'd never seen a 25g tin before, but I found them to be a great way to try out a blend or two (and at 2 Euro a piece, it's a good price point as well).

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for a great info!

Spain has very low tobacco taxes, it is funny that SG in UK costs 12,5eur or more, while in Spain it is 7,5eur and it was even cheaper a couple of years ago.

I would love to buy some Davidoff Flake Medallions but I couldn't find them in Spain, did you maybe see it?

Shops are not alloved to sell via internet but I found a guy with internet store that sends abroad, if anybody is interested, send me a pm.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
pipefish this is a great post - extemely informative. Sorry I missed it the first time you posted this - but I appreciate your efforts!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
My visit to Barcelona this weekend included a stop by the tobacco shop on Las Ramblas, the last one mentioned in pipefish' post. For reference, it is right across the street (Las Ramblas) from the main entrance of the Las Ramblas market, which should make it easy to find. The shop had an impressive number of pipes for sale, from cobs (the first I've ever seen in a shop in Europe) to Dunhills. Mostly the selection included a very wide variety of Peterson's and a large number of Sav's. I always find it interesting to see pipes in person and am often surprised at what I'm impressed with based on what I've seen online. They also had a very nice selection of accessories, from lighters and ashtrays to some excellent pipe cases that could hold up to 40 or so pipes.
The tobacco selection was average. A few blends of Mac Baren, several Dunhill blends to the usual suspects sold in pouches that tend to be in most larger European tobacco shops. They did have a few off the wall selections I don't alway see on the continent including Erinmore which I guess is making a comeback and some SG Full Virginia which I picked up a tin of for EUR 9, not a bad price for the EU. Overall I liked the shop and particularly the pipe selection. It did look as if they were out of stock on many tobaccos so it would be interesting to come back at a later date.
Sorry for the bump but wanted to add my thoughts to this great thread.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I've been back to Barcelona twice in the past couple of months with work. That one on la rambla has a good selection of pipes as you noted, but tobacco wise he sells tins 2 or 3 euros dearer than the others by the cathedral. Something you need to know if, like me you buy a lot of tins. They also have a much larger & better stocked supply.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Gimeno by far had the friendliest staff. When I visited I was the American tourist looking for Cuban cigars. Nice selection upstairs and more accessories then I had seen in person. They offered to show me the basement stash of cigars wow is all I can say.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Wow, the prices at the cathedral shop must be amazing. I still feel pretty good about €9 for Full Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.