PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesnpain

Lurker
Nov 13, 2013
wondering if anyone has traved to the Mayan Riviera Mexico and gone in search of any Pipe Tobacco. I understand hey have a few Cigar stores and bars boasting plenty of bootleg Cigars, but has anyone gone looking tinned or bulk pipe tobacco? not looking for native mexican tobacco but just anything. i cant seem to find anything in reference or such on the interweb.

if anyone could help me out , even anything in the area could help.

i will take a bit of my own with me but i would like to see if i could bring some back home as well.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Sorry I can't comment on this as I am buried in 5 ft of snow and very jealous lol
Sounds like a great trip, should be fun to try and find some baccy, just make sure its not wacky. 8)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would guess lots of Mexican cigars, as well as other cigars. Wouldn't bet on pipe tobacco.I'd take my own.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Nothing but fake Cuban cigars there. I recommend bringing your own tobacco products. I made the mistake by not bringing any pipes or cigars and regretted it the whole time I was there.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I live in Mexico and believe me there is no decent pipe tobacco availabe. Just for fun you can buy some of the local stuff in Cancun at Sanborns. I haven't dared to try it, but here is the link to the only pipe tobacco company in the country that I know of.
http://pipasytabacos.com/default2.html
If you can understand Spanish you can navigate around the site.
Very good cigars though and well worth bringing back. Just make sure they are from San Andres Tuxtla, Veracruz!
Enjoy the good weather, the bikinis, and the fantastic food and drinks.
Welcome to Mexico!
Dot

pipesnpain

Lurker
Nov 13, 2013
thank guys , i figured ide be taking my own but thought ide try to see if i could find some in or around where im staying. thank you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You *can* actually find real Cuban cigars there! I've had several Cuban Romeo y Julietas that blew me away when I visited. If you enjoy cigars, you might want to check out some of the local product. I found it unusually sweet for a cigar. . . but it was at least worth trying.
When I visited, unfortunately, it was so hot I never even considered smoking my pipe. It seemed much better weather for cigars.
Bob

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Just smoked a bowl of all natural Mexican cigar leaf this morning. It was deeeeeeeeelishus!
All for a penny per gram.
If you happen to go into a cigar store down there, ask about some loose leaf. Great souvenir, and excellent smoking!
Dot

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
There are several tobacco shops in Playa del Carmen that have pipe tobacco by the pouch. Can't remember the brands... Didn't see any bulk.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Dont knock those counterfeit cigars to quick. They may not be what they claim to be; but ive heard that they may surprise too.

....of course, dont pay for what its not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't associate tobacco pipes with Mexican culture at all. I think Mexicans see tobacco pipes as

European or American. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can't remember a photo of anyone in or from

Mexico smoking a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.