PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I think I made a decision. It may cost a little more in some cases unless you order a bunch and get the free shipping, but I've decided if I can get it at my local B&M, I'm going to shop there. I want the place to stay in business. I like knowing Jerry and him knowing me. I like that he has a good idea of what I like to smoke in what kind of pipe and can guide me and recommend new things. While everything is moving to box stores, bad customer service, and lack of human contact, I think it's important to support local business and even though I know I didn't get the cheapest price on something, I feel good by buying there.
Also, another thing happened there last night that shocked me. I've been eying a few of the higher end pipes he has and so he called me and told me he was having a sale the next day on pipes but if I came in the night before, he'd give me the sale so I would have pick of the lot. How awesome is that? So, I went in. I don't really need another pipe, but I had the $$, it was extra slush money, and I can't think of a better use for it (don't tell my wife.) So, I looked at this higher end pipe that I really liked the looks of. You'd think for the price (which was comparable to what I saw online if not cheaper, actually) that it would be well drilled. However, it wasn't. I was shocked and saddened. I looked at some others and they were meh, ok. The buttons on some were weird, the drilling wasn't quite what I was looking at, etc. So, then I looked at this cheaper La Rocca simply because the stem was interesting. It wasn't the prettiest and was less than I thought I was going to spend. It was drilled perfectly. The button was just what I liked and feels comfortable. It was a slight bent rhodesian which was one of my favorite shapes. I went home with it leaving the pretty and expensive one on the shelf and an extra $60 in my pocket.
There are a few morals to this story: I would have never known had I ordered online. There's nothing compared to being able to walk in, touch the pipes, pull em apart, and look. Sometimes, I fall into the trap that thinking if a pipe costs more, its a better pipe; or if it's pretty, it's going to be good. Well, I have an ugly pipe now that smokes wonderfully and didn't break my bank. I learned a good lesson last night. Thought I would pass it along.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Its a great feeling to be able to support your local business. I try to make it to the B & M's in my area as much as possible.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
In a way any pipe that smokes well is beautiful in my book
+1 on that Boz
Quincy, I totally support my local B&M, but for things like tins, she sells Dunhill EMP for $14 and I can get it on P&C (this week anyway) for $8.87. I support them when I can and if I spend a few extra bucks on a pipe but I get to hold it, take it apart, and fully inspect it, then I am fine. When it comes to commodity items I try to save the $$$.
Just my .02
Dan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I wish could support my local b/m more but the state of Florida has made it impossible. I can buy a tin of SG Best Brown flake for 8.95 on line and he has to sell it for 22.95 because of the state tax on pipe tobacco. A much as I like the people at the store, I am not paying that kind of mark up. I do support him in little ways in terms of pipe repairs and accessories, but no more tobacco sales.
Quincy, what brands of pipe were you looking at that you consider to be high end? There really are tons of pipes out there that are drilled properly, have great stems and are high quality pipes that will give you a great smoking experience, you should not shut yourself off from these kind of pipes because you had one bad experience. You can buy online comfortably when you ask the seller to check the pipe and make sure of the fit and finish and the drilling. Our site sponsors literally have thousands of great pipes for sale and you just need to ask a few questions is all. If you ever need any help in finding a higher end pipe for a good price, feel free to contact me. There are tons of great deals out there if you know the market and you know which mfgs or artisans are doing great work.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
+1000 Qunicy I tip my hat and my pipe to you. Money is not everything but relationships are what makes this world a place worth living in.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good post Quincy. I wish I had a local B&M. I have no choice but to order online.

There really are tons of pipes out there that are drilled properly, have great stems and are high quality pipes that will give you a great smoking experience, you should not shut yourself off from these kind of pipes because you had one bad experience.
+1
I've order all of my pipes online and have had great luck with most of my pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another vote for La Rocca pipes. I found a La Rocca at my local independent pipe store

and decided to wait. When I went back a week or two later, I decided if it was still there,

it was meant to be mine, and it is. This is a good big bowled poker with a carved bowl.

It was extremely reasonable in price and smokes like a champ. Sometimes the low-end

pipes turn out to be real prizes. And this one looks quite handsome too.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I like to support the local B&M so I buy a couple of tins whenever I'm in town about every two weeks or so. They are higher priced but they have a fantastic lounge and treat everyone well. I'm mostly into estate pipes and their selection is almost nil so most of my pipe purchases are on-line along with bulk tobacco. We have to try and support these guys since they are going by the wayside way to fast.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I love my B&M, and his blends are awesome, but he costs more than twice what I can get from smokingpipes; I can't afford him. I've told this story before, but some of you may not have read it: He is a one man shop and takes his dog to work. One time I was in there and he said he walked down the street to get a haircut and left the dog in charge. And he wasn't kidding.
When he got back there were several notes: I bought two ounces of this and two ounces of that, here's twenty bucks. Folks made their own change in the change drawer and everything. Great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.