PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
I've recently acquired an estate Parker pipe. The stem looked nice, dark black and shiny. But when I put it to my lips I right away tasted a nasty sour/chemical taste and it smelled of burnt hair or rubber. I've tried cleaning it with alcohol and right away the color of the stem went matte and it still smelled/tasted bad.
Is this simply the result of oxidation of the vulcanite stem?
If so, is there a way to buff it out by hand?
Should the seller have listed that as an issue or should older pipes be expected to have these sort of problems?
Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Dec 24, 2012
This is a relatively common problem. You have pubic hairs stuck in the stem. You need to get some special pubic hair removal cream at smokingpipes. Unfortunately, they only sell it during the equinox, when fertility rates are the highest. I would put the pipe in a drawer until then.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Hmm- The ol pube in the pipe problem. And I thought that was a thing of folklore. Have much experience with that yourself? I'll have to look into this.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Best bet - aside from flaming the excess pubic hair - is to clean the inside of the stem with cleaners dipped in alcohol, till they come out clean. Then dip fresh cleaners in pipe sweetner mix or use your favorite whiskey or rum to sweeten. As for the surface, I use Brebbia stem polish, and small doubled over paper towel, and lots of elbow grease. Then gloss to fine shine using clean paper towel. Sometimes I use the stem restore kit from Walker Briar works. Same idea.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I use the candle method for this, heat the stem for about 4 seconds in one spot, then wipe it with a wet paper towel, repeat until you've done this to the whole stem, the burnt smell will be gone and your stem will look brand new

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
That smell is the polish product that was used on the stem. I had the same problem when I had my local B&M clean up my pipe. I dipped the stem in Everclear and some of the oxidation resurfaced. You can re-polish those spots back out. And like Kashmir stated just clean the interior of the stem with alcohol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You guys are doing it all wrong. You need to get a torch style lighter, heat the end of the stem where the button is, let the tobacco dry out to you can blow it into a plastic bag. Once you have your pubes in perfect condition get your self a good quality rice rolling paper, roll it up and smoke that nectar of the gods. I cannot believe none of you guys have thought of this,
ps, you should just send the pipe out to a professional restorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.