PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was wondering where folks get their pipe stamps at for marking their pipes. I found a website called steel hand stamps and getting one would run about $120 for what I requested. I saw a post that talked about A&M Stamps, just curious on what folks have used.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I was speaking with Dan Chlebove of Gabrieli pipes about his stamp. I asked if he was going to stamp the stems on his pipe and he told me that the stamp he had made for him was too straight to do stems correctly. So now he's going to his guy and having a concave stamp made for stems. I'll ask him who he uses. I believe they stamps he gets are made in Quackertown, Pa.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Mine was made by Infinity Stamps, Inc., Canoga Park, CA.
16102_4023108263742_1492595867_n.jpg

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I use A&M stamps:

This place makes stamps for a lot of pipe makers,and also for the Grabow factory.

A & M Steel Stamps

55 Windsor Ave,

Mineola, N.Y. 11501

Phone: 516-741-6223

E-mail: mailto:amsteelstamps@yahoo.com
taken from a post on this forum:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stamping-briar
Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Walt that looks great! How much does a stamp that size run? It would be years before I'm good enough to sell pipes (gotta find a master to show some work to and learn what to change). I would however still like to start stamping my work though.
Blue I'm gonna email A&M and try to get a quote. They don't have a website so the only contact I would have ATM would be through email.
What size do you guys recommend on the stamp size?

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Not bad I was looking at their website and shows $160 starting now under woodstamps. Steel hand stamps sent me a quote for a design with my name above a design for $120. Waiting to hear back from A&M. Wife likes the one I found so far.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I didn't order the wood stamps, I ordered the steel stamp.

http://www.infinitystamps.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=87

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Got mine at Buckeye Engraving... http://www.steelhandstamps.com/ About $110. 10 day turnaround...
359eou1.jpg

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Sent them a quote request thanks Walt.
Zack that looks great the design I spoke with them about would run $120.
Glad I asked there are great companies out there, but rather hear from the folks that actually know them or have done business with them. Don't like buying over the internet with all the fishers and spammers out there.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I went with .4". Absolutely impossible to use by hand. Ideal would be an arbor press and rotating pipe holder- have it designed, just no time to build it yet...That being said- I currently use a 3lb hammer- takes 1 person to hold the pipe on a padded rest and me striking and rotating the die over the circumference...(Ignore me and listen to Walt's advice on this one- his impression looks better than mine...:)

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I emailed Paul at A&M with my design, talked over some details on the phone with him...turn around was 3 days.

I had two different stamps made $95.00 each. Hmm come to think of it that was 10 yrs ago so prices may be higher.

Give him a call real nice guy.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Alright jeep went out and got this for you,the Moravian Christmas star measures 6.97mm x 5.5mm, the Gabrieli USA is 10.33mm x 5.75mm and Bethlehem,PA is 16.05mm x 2.86mm those are the actual letter highth and width.
Picture199_zpsf0693bd0.jpg

Don't rush, get what you want and it's one thing to finally get them and then learn how to use them to best effect,have fun!

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Thanks Blue I'll try to call monday, when I call from over here the numbers are always weird and throws people off. Then again so does my Hawaii phone area code 808, everyone I've never called thinks its a telemarketer lol.
I've already sent a couple of emails and finally finished up the design the way I want it, simple and plays off my last name. I was also thinking of doing one that played off the street I live on as I think it sounds like a possible pipe maker, Saint George (pipes).
Looks like the original size would be bigger than I thought so 14mm by 7mm (or something close) should be plenty to use not huge but not so small it be hard to see the writing.

May 31, 2012
Here's a vid of handstamping.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-UjjIUBJ5A

:

:

...and this one shows the press type machine, at 9:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJN8HBOQoQ

:

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Just got my stamp in today and really love it. I just have to practice now using it, along with it my order of briar blocks arrived too. Time to get to work.
Trying to get it right is hard as heck. Didn't like that i made it ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.