PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hello pipe smoking friends, I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if this is the correct location to post a thread of this nature, but I'm going to be staining my first freehand in the coming days. Ive seen a lot of conflicting advice as far as cutting the fiebings with denatured alcohol, lighting the pipe on fire, number of coats etc. Some more input would put my mind at ease, as I don't want to ruin a good plateaux piece of briar. In a nutshell, I'd like to pre-stain the entire pipe black to highlight the grain, then I would like to hit it with a russet colored dye. The root face of the briar (the top of the pipe) will be left black. Thank you in advance for your wisdom. I can post pictures later if that'll help at all.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I'm going to attempt the pre-stain tonight. How fine of sandpaper is typically used to remove the black stain, leaving it strictly in the grain?

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I've never done staining or really anything in that nature to a pipe of mine, but I'm interested in some comments and hopefully get to see some pics of the progress. Good Luck.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
earthbound, send a PM to Dave G. Tell him I referred you and ask him your questions. He does amazing work and is always willing to help with advice that is worthwhile. You can look in the repairs section and see some of his before and after posts. When you do you'll know why you want to take his advice. Dutch

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sand to 120 grit, stain black, then sand to 220, hit with black again, then sand to 320, then 400, then 600. Once you are done hit it with the over color. Hit it evenly with as many coats as you need to get the desired color.
Now you have to set the stain so get some shellac and cut it with denatured alcohol, at least 50/50. Give the pipe a coat of that, let it sit for 10 seconds or so and wipe it off. Let that dry well and then you'll be ready to start buffing.
You can look at some of the threads I've start about my pipes as I just started making them. You can see the results if you are curious. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wip-thread-clickklick-and-rx2man-elephants-feet

I haven't contrast stained all of them though. Hope this helps a little. We'd love to see pictures!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do cut my Fieblings stain,quite a bit with 91% alcohol.

For a two stain pipe, I put black on, set it with a flame, then buff it off with Tripoli. Then, I add a lighter coat of the final stain (usually Medium Brown) and buff it with White Diamond, then a couple of coats of Carnuba.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
This is great information, thank you. There's a few that I would like the stain myself .

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Well guys, it's done! Huge thank you to clickklick and Dave G for some killer advice. Criticisms are welcome and appreciated. This has been quite a good learning experience for future pipes to be made. I hope these links work!
4_zpsluyffubx.png

3_zpsiflf0rfl.png
2_zpsfjfbrmj8.png

1_zpsvl1oyxwh.png

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Great staining for sure. Finish looks spectacular for your first pipe. Make sure you smoke it regularly to see how your finish holds up over time! I look forward to seeing how your work progresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.