Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
For many, many years men have enjoyed smoking tobacco out of a pipe. While clothes are often passing fads, not much has changed in the preferred method to pass time among those with style.

smoking-knights.jpg

Are you man enough to wear a collar like that?

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Pipe smoking is not only for the stylish, its a pleasure any working man or woman can enjoy.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I found the name for the collar. It is called a neck ruff or ruffled collar, for those that want to had something besides an overly small and tall feathered top hat to their wardrobe.

sugaplum480

Lurker
Sep 24, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Yup, and as Leatherman said, some of my most enjoyable pipe smoking moments are while I'm in the field working. It helps me slow down and focus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Elizabethan clothes looks outrageous, but maybe not compared to various trends and fads of current street wear, and even more outlandish fashion runway garb for women, but also for men. No one would drop by the grocery store in any of the outfits paraded at fashion week in New York. And the ensembles cost thousands of dollars. It's kind of a faux exhibit for designers who quietly license out the normal stuff that gets sold at Target ... more circuitous than that, but the money stream leads back.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
All of these styles make me think of how they affect the psychology of those who wear them. I believe prisoners in one Arizona prison are forced to wear pink onesies and other clownish articles for that reason. The fact that these guys look as if they just finished jousting and fencing leads me to believe they are not diminished in masculinity in any way. So while trends in clothes and even our psychology may have changed, pipe smoking seems relatively stable.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
It looks like someone used the essence of masculinity as inspiration for that one chasingembers. It is still distinguishable as a pipe even if it bends the rules of tradition.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is still distinguishable as a pipe even if it bends the rules of tradition.
The same could also be said of all forms of tobacco consumption though. Chewing leaf, cigars, cigarettes, etc. really haven't changed for centuries.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I wondering about that, I thought he may have used something from a surgeons tool chest to bore out the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.