PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Orginations such as AARP and NRA seem to have a good bit of influence these days.I've been wondering if those involved in the pipe smoking industry would consider it beneficial to form such an orgination.Maybe there's just too few of us to make such a thing practical.Any way it's just a thought I had..At my age I expect to be able to smoke my pipe until I'm either too old or gone to the next life.I have real concerns though about Big Brother's effects on the long term future of pipe smoking.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I believe you mean organizations. I don"t think there are enough of us but we could try. Shel

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At my age I don't "long term" think about anything. The future of tobacco use interests me only in an economic senses. I sometimes ponder which growers and manufacturers will "morph" to in order to survive. I know some will simply close their doors. But, I think some of the others are agile and financially stable enough to survive as the market shrinks and the tobacco products market becomes unprofitable.
The "tobacco lobby" at one time ranked right up there with, maybe even ahead of, the NRA in terms of moneys and power. It's not so much of a player any longer, except in some Third World countries. I've not checked lately, but I think the US government doesn't underwrite tobacco growers in the manner they used to. I was always fascinated with government actively trying to curtail the use of the product while, at the same time it was underwriting the farmers growing the tobacco so as to lesson the impact of the success of the anti-smoking programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.