PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Hello gentlemen!
In a few months I will be leave for Navy boot camp. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a pipe smoking hobby while in the military.
Is it possible to remain a pipe smoker? When would I have time to smoke? How many pipes should I bring?
Thanks for your help on the subject!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Don't take any with you to boot camp,I don't think you will be let to smoke them but when your done with boot camp you can smoke pipes. Good luck to you.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
No take the pipes to boot camp! Make sure your smoking one when you get off the bus. The drill instructors will appreciate your style and good taste. :) :)
Just kidding. Leave them at home for boot camp. After that, you should be fine to smoke. Thanks for signing up!

Reactions: SaxonX

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Don"t bring nothing it will only wind up in the shitcan , bring a good candy bar and as the bus goes thru the gate cram it in your mouth, cause that's the last sweets you will have for a while The old cajun :laughat:

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I don't think you'll see much downtime in boot. Maybe after it's all said and done but for now, the Navy owns you and they will not want you smoking anything. Good luck and thank you for your service!

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I agree with what everyone has said, you will not have time to enjoy your pipe. You will also want to enjoy things like pop, chocolate bars and anything else you crave a lot. They will take your individuality. But you will be better for it. From an ex serviceman thank you for your dedication. I truly know what you are giving up.
Cheers,

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Not sure what Navy boot is like but Army basic training would definitely not allow you to smoke. 9 weeks of amazingness.... lol

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I would take a cob and enough tobacco for a smoke or two. When I went to boot camp several years ago we had to wait around in the San Diego airport for hours before the buses showed up to take us on base. If this is the same for you, then you maybe able to enjoy one last one befor you start your "transformation ". Cobs are cheap and won't be a great loss when you have to shitcan it. Good luck Brother.

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
I am currently active duty navy. I would not take a pipe or anything you care about to bootcamp. All tobacco gets thrown away at the airport and stand by to stand by if you have anything on you when you get off the bus. All your personal belongings will be sent home at your own cost so pack lightly or do what I did and just wear old stuff and throw it away. After bootcamp you can smoke in designated smoking areas usually a picnic table with a butt can. Be prepared to share your air with cigarette smokers and have your pipe taken for "testing" never to be seen again. I wish I could say it's a pipe friendly world but my ship is attempting to go tobacco free because it's damaging goverment property aka you. You will meet great people and have amazing times I can promise you that. Just remember bootcamp does end and there job is to break you down but they will build you up to be a great sailor and person. If you have any questions please PM me and I will be happy to help. Hopefully are paths will cross one day and we can smoke a bowl together.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Once again I am amazed at the selflessness of this group! Good luck to you on your new journey.

kttfire13

Lurker
Oct 1, 2011
Its been a very long time ago I went through basic training (1976 USAF) but I there during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. This is where I first started smoking a pipe. DON'T take anything with you to boot camp. After that you should have time to smoke your pipe. I found that pipes are generally accepted much more than cigs or cigars. Enjoy your time in the Navy as it will go fast. Good luck and thank you.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Just don't go for sub school, as I understand it you cannot smoke anywhere on a sub anymore. In the rest I think only the fantail. Navy, correct me if I am error.

joshwolftree

When I went through Air Force basic 1999, it was not only a no go to smoke in basic but anytime you were in uniform the whole way through tech school(each of the branches calls this something different but it's your job specific courses) and since you went through a "phase program" with steadily lifting restrictions to prevent the "hell yeah outta basic time to party" from taking over, it was 6-10 weeks after basic before you were aloud out of uniform outside of your dormitory building. and of course no smoking in the dorms.

not sure how it's done now or wether the navy ever subscribed to the "phase program" but the it was

1st phase: 2 weeks long must report to all formations and march in formation to class, UOD(uniform of the day) must be worn at all times,restricted to base curfew 21:00.

2nd: 4 weeks long curfew moved to 22:00 weekdays 23:00 weekends may be of base if wearing blues (mind you not full dress but the collared blue shirt and slacks) must be in uniform at all times

3rd: 6 weeks long may wear civilian clothes on or off base(so long as not on duty of course) curfew remains as 2nd (at this point off duty tobacco use if permitted in appropriate areas (each dormitory had it's own outdoor smoking area pretty much a gazebo size roof with a metal picnic table and some smokers outposts on a concrete pad)

then if like me you had the long schools there were two more phases that were basically the thing off myth to anyone not spending at least 10 months in school

4th: somewhere right around 4 months long the same as third excepting no weekend curfew and members who are married may opt to live off base with spouse at commanders discretion

5th: last phase so until graduation from tech school or you screw it up and get knocked back a phase or more.(if you screw up in fifth phase since your basically regarded as permanent party (considered as a member who is no longer in the training program and is simply an active member of the military) it's bad and your probably going back to 1st) no more curfews at all, and at this phase you no longer need to report for formation to march in you can report directly to classroom. able to live of base at commanders discretion.

also each phase promotion required

Acceptable academic level

Passing of basic fitness examination (number of pushups sit ups and a two mile run)

acceptable military record (any unfavorable actions like late to formation, failed room inspections,getting drunk and urinating on a TI's desk, using climbing claws to get to the third floor where the female dorms are in order to get laid while after curfew and in uniform,you know just normal no no's, can and will have you held back in phase and depending on severity or reccurence of minor offences have previously attained phases removed)

required time in phase
I guess what I'm trying to say is once your out of training entirely get your pipes shipped to you and enjoy, while your in training concentrate on that and get the most you can out of what their teaching you, it may save your life(safe operating procedures), It may save someone elses, and it's part of keeping us all just a little safer back home.

Thanks for signing up, thanks for serving

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I'm wondering where TopD is...
Josh, that's a very good summation of Air Force tech school. I did a seven-month school in the Eighties that wasn't near so restrictive, but when I retrained after 9/11 those poor kids were treated like babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.