PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
I don't smoke inside my house. With the cold weather approaching, I thought I'd ask what you guys think the proper etiquette is for pipe smoking in a cigar bar that doesn't sell pipes, or pipe tobacco. Usually when i go into a cigar bar/lounge, I don't bring my own cigar, I buy one there. Do any of you guys go to a cigar lounge to smoke a pipe and not buy anything ?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No, but to be fair, the one I use does sell pipe stuff, so I always make sure to drop a couple bucks.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Usually not an issue, but recommend asking for "permission" before lighting up a pipe in a cigar bar. I know of a few cigar lounges that prohibit pipe smoking depending on the day, customers, etc.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I was just thinking of visiting an cigar bar/speakeasy this weekend. I won't take my pipe, just have a cigar from their selection and a drink.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
You certainly want to be a customer, and there's always something you can buy -- fuel for a lighter, magazines, coffee etc. I've smoked a pipe in a lot of cigar lounges across the country and never had anyone have an issue with the pipe itself.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Have you considered buying something there to support the shop? ;) :nana:

The only cigar bar I ever went in had a sign saying no pipe smoking. At the time I wasn't a pipe smoker, but the smell of cigar smoke is VERY different from pipes so I can certainly see it being an issue.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As already mentioned, ask the proprietor if they mind, it's polite. Next, make sure you spend a few bucks, buy a stick or a can of butane etc., I'm sure you can find something in a cigar bar to spend $5.00 on!

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I agree with what's been posted. I frequently go to cigar bars, and I bring my pipe. I spend some money on a cup of coffee or some supplies (butane, etc.) and then proceed to smoke my pipe. I have never had anyone stop me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The NYC Pipe club meets at the Soho Cigar bar. I always buy something to eat and a few drinks. Other than the club guys, I never see anyone smoking a pipe. I do see other's eating/drinking smoking cigarettes, so I guess on non-club nights a pipe would be find as long as you are buying something.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
My last visit I purchased a tin of Escudo, though I had tobacco with me, at the shop before sitting down for my smoke. I buy pipe cleaners and other bits, even a cigar on occasion. I agree, it is polite to support your local shop through purchases.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
In the cigar world pipe smokers are thought of as notorious cheapskates. Don't be that guy. Unless you're a regular who spends $1000's a year I figure $10 or $15 bucks an hour for chair time will keep you welcome. I travel for work and have been the new guy with fresh ears in a lot of shop lounges and I can tell you the owner and managers know who spends what. They all hate the guy who makes the lounge his office or living room for a couple of cheap sticks. 8O

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup, those recommending a purchase are correct. That chair is costing the owner X number of cents every hour of every day, whether the shop is open or closed. It's only fair for you to pay a bit to cover the costs and provide a wee bit of profit. This will help insure the shop is there next time you wish to stop in and take advantage the amenities.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It depends on who you are.
Some people draw in others based on just who they are...
Others, the most they do is buy something.
Either way: advance the B&M. Make it bigger. Make it cooler. Contribute.
You'll do fine.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
There have been three cigar bars in my town that I know of, two now closed (have been for awhile). In one of the closed ones, they didn't care because they made their money on liquor. In the other, there was a "cutting fee" for lighting your pipe, $10 I think. In the one that's still open, they don't care, and I don't know how they're still open. I think because it's a tourist trap, and they charge $30 for a $5 glass of whiskey.
Long story short, it's not the pipe they care about, just spend some bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.