PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Who is your pipe smoking hero(es)? First I'll say my Granddad; without him I would not be the man I am today. My famous heroes are Albert Einstein; for many things but I'll stick to his genius as the main reason, J.R.R Tolkien; For his great literary works, and Mark Twain; Again for his literary works. I am sure there are other that I just didn't know where pipe smokers or I can't think of at the moment, but these are the guys I think right of the top of my head. As I think I'll add more.

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
From people I know, my grandfather, who used to let me blow out his matches when I was a little kid (that was quite a thrill and a privledge). From the movies, Mortimer from For a Few Dollars More. From academia, Einstein and Oppenheimer.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
William Faulkner... Bing Crosby.... Charles Mingus...
28+Charles+Mingus+-+Black+Saint+and+the+Sinner+Lady+(1963)-front.jpg

william-faulkner.jpg

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
That's mighty handsome, Art...
I heard that he payed a guy to break in his briars because he'd puff too vigorously while writing and have burnouts resulting in having to rewrite his burnt up page. Don't know how true it is, but it's a funny thought. He must've had a tongue of leather.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I guess I'd have to say it was a Chief Petty Officer that I used to stand engine room watches with when I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club back in 1972-3. He gave me my first pipe and a Half&Half pipe tool. Don't recall what happened to that pipe but I still have the pipe tool. When I got out in 1974 I soon went back to the cigarettes and didn't pick up the pipe again until 2005.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
My Dad, who's pipes I know own, and CSM Thomas, he was my influence to start smoking a pipe, he would always give me crap about smoking cigs and always said pick up a damned pipe insted of those cigs. So I did,smoked it all the way through Panama, the first Gulf War and Somalia and 20+ years later still enjoy it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.