PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
So, I have a pretty big backyard with a deck and that's where I do 99.999% of my pipe smoking.
My backyard fence butts up to the neighbors backyard in the next addition. They have kids, play out there often, the mom lays out (no pics yet), etc etc etc. There is a good distance from my deck to them, and the fence is high so I can't really see them.
Today I come outside with laptop to puff a bowl and they are outside playing, Mom is out there, etc etc etc. They had been outside most of the afternoon, I think. About 10 min later, after the pipe is fired and going, they are all gone and inside. All quiet over there.
Did I smoke them out?? (I guess, in?). Do I wait until no one is out there until I start smoking, since they were outside first?? Hell, those kids are always out there.
Anyway, anyone have an experience discussing this with neighbors, or what do you do in this situation?? I don't really know this woman so I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing my pipe smoking with her, but at the same time I don't want to be that a-hole neighbor that keeps them from enjoying the outdoors. Also, my pipes are all pretty big so this isn't a 20 minute smoke. Hour minimum.
BTW - not smoking a harsh stinky tobacco that wouldn't please others, just a carmely type blend. Not an aromatic per se, but nothing really unappealing.
Sorry if been discussed before. Link the thread if yes and I will bump it > you can delete this one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't know how close you were, but a guy has to be able to smoke on his own backyard. I usually have a pipe with me for backyard/patio gatherings at other neighbors. I keep a discreet distance, but typically a fire is going, so we're all getting smoky. No children however in sight (a good thing!).

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I wouldn't even give it anymore thought. You're smoking in your backyard. End of story.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
It is your yard mate. As for the kids, very little danger there. Second hand smoke indoors is alot different than second hand smoke outdoors, You are not going to hurt the kids, enjoy
PS: if the Mom is HOT, I would increase my tobacco consumption!

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
You should be able to compromise somehow. Can you smoke while the kids are at school?
Next time the moms outside just be friendly, start a conversation about something else. Eventually just ask if your pipe smoking bothers her. People want to compromise because if they don't it makes them look like "the bad guy." If you initiate the conversation you will have the upper hand. Be willing to compromise yourself though.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
If it really is the smoke that is bothering them (or more likely the Mom) than it seems to me that she is overreacting!! And if so than there is probably not much you can do to change her mind...
I agree with the others... YOUR backyard, your right to smoke in it!!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Just the fact that they all went inside while you were outside smoking doesn't necessarily mean your smoking drove them indoors if they didn't speak to you about it. I agree with maineyachtie's approach as the polite way to deal with the neighbors.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mask the smoke by throwing some chicken on the barbeque grill ... and just let it burn.

Then they'd be reacting to second hand chicken. :lol:

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
+1 Keith
Given the fact they didn't tell you why they went indoors, at this point it's left to your imagination.
If they complain to you about the smoking deal with it then. Otherwise, "No news is good news." Smoke away!

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
2 minutes after I finished and came back inside they were back out there playing.
:rofl: :roll:
Oh well. Maybe it was the smoke, maybe I just timed my smoke perfectly with their break time.
It's not going to stop me. Maybe I will strike up a convo at some point.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
i DISAGREE with any suggestion that you initiate any conversation which includes a reference to you pipe and be willing to compromise. suppose they state your smoking bothers them ( a lot of anti-smoking zealots or over-concerned parents might make that claim on general principle)...then what?? YOU compromise and only smoke when they're not around?? then what...don't use a firstarter on your grill if the winds blows that odor into their backyard?? no, my friend, be a good neighbor but your home is YOUR castle...smoke away!! jr/john

terry

Oct 7, 2011
You just may be letting your thoughts get the best of you.

adam12

May 16, 2011
If they are "always out there", then I think your being outside and quietly smoking is a decent trade off for having to listen to them outdoors playing alot. Doesn't sound like you were being unreasonable.
So about the mom.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If anyone is annoyed by outside smoke they are being extreme.
Be polite about it but don't yield to the hot mom. I don't care what she does to sway your mind. :wink:
I generally don't smoke around children even outside, but if it's a good 20ft. away and behind a fence... light it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.