PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just read the rules for a pipe smoking contest. I've even watched youtube clips of people slow smoking their pipes..but, I must say, these rules and a contest sort of defeat MY purpose.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
We do the Slow Smoking Contest thing every year at my local pipe club. We do it for fun and award prizes to the top three finishers as well as whoever is "first out." - You don't want to win that prize; a primer on how to smoke a pipe. I've come close to winning that prize several times. :(
I've also entered slow smoking contests at pipe shows for the fun of it (and, you always get to keep the pipe used for the contest and they are usually very nice). It is one contest I don't practice ahead of time on. Also, entering slow smoke contests is good for the folks who put on the shows because it requires an entry fee and the funds go toward offsetting the expenses of the shows.
Pipestud

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have been in two. Placed 4th in one, 1st in the other. The first one we got a great MM Cob and the second time we could use whatever pipe we wanted(I used the cob again). Winning a Nording Pipe/Knife set and meeting Erik Nording as well.

I consider the contest a bit stressful and am usually worn out by the end. But it is fun.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
The British Pipe Smoking Championship every year here is a slow smoking competition, everyone gets given the pipe (to keep after) and the measured tobacco and see who can keep it going the longest, some rules:

- 5 minutes to load/pack your pipe

- Only 2 matches allowed (unless a supervisor deems that one was blown out by the wind, can't smoke indoors here)

- Can only use the matches in the first minute (no saving a match until later on)

- No drinking in the first 10 minutes (No-one's too sure why)
Had great fun doing it, everyone's in good spirits and gets a prize.

The idea is that if you are smoking too fast, you are possibly just wasting the smoke, less absorption of nicotine, and not tasting the flavors. So, encouraging people to slow down is the advantage of everyone. You are not just burning tobacco into the air, and you are getting your money's worth out of the experience. Thus, the slowest smoker is usually the most experienced (or best). :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.