Pipe Smoking Contest at Yale, 1959 (LIFE Magazine Photos)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
http://www.messynessychic.com/2016/12/14/big-pimping-at-yales-pipe-smoking-contest-1959/

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I Like the first picture with the giant bulldog. I wonder if it's functional, if so how much tobacco in weight goes in or how long does it take too smoke a full bowl.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
was getting a bit dizzy. I used my last pipe cleaner and was sickened by what it cleaned out of the stem of my pipe! I was swallowing this gook! I

Pipe smoking contest. Ready? Set? GO! Now, relax and enjoy the contest.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo geo
Most bodacious find! I love the Owl Shop and some of its blends, although the store itself has 'modernized' from the old-timey pipe-centric hangout to a more hipster and cigar mode, complete with craft beers and trendy libations. This contest is an interesting bit of history, and I wonder if anyone knows how long Johnny's and others had been doing this. My own Christopher Morley's Pipe Club has the distinction of hosting the first formal slow smoking event sanctioned by the Comite International des Pipe Clubs back at the beginning of this century (lol - sounds like a long time, when phrased this way).
hp

les

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Man ... smoking pipe for hours without stopping!? That is taking pipe smoking to a totally new meaning. I think the poor guy couldn't taste food properly for weeks after this adventure :))))

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not too far off of the "What are you smoking" thread, just trying to figure which of these cat's is the younger @jimlinks :rofl:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My favorite photo of the lot! Note there's a woman in the group, when Yale was not yet co-ed. What an assortment of devices!
af7ddf05405fb952_large.jpeg

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I graduated from Yale in '01 and I frequented The Owl Shop... I remember seeing lots of old timers smoking pipes.
I grew up around Cornell University and many of my friends parents were professors at Cornell and Ithaca College ... I remember that many of them smoked pipes...
I used to play hockey as a kid and the dads would all be drinking their coffee and puffing away on their pipes... A wonderful aroma would fill the rink.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My pop liked going to The Owl Shop... He told me the first time he went there he asked the guys to give him the "blend the Rowan Greer smokes." Greer was an Iconic Div School Prof... always had a pipe etc...
Cool post btw...

Status
Not open for further replies.