Pipe-smoking author Günter Grass died at 87, he smoked ...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Günter Grass produced many well-known work including "The Tin Drum", which led him to win the Nobel Prize. It seemed to me that he carried his pipe wherever he went, and people say that his favorite tobacco was W.Ø.Larsen Classic.
image-337138-panoV9free-zddl.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Men: I read a piece in Der Spiegel Online today called him "Germany's Towering Literary Figure."
At one point in the obituary, the writer said: "After many years spent living in Berlin's Friedenau district and a sojourn in the Algarve, Portugal, Grass settled in Behlendorf in Schleswig-Holstein, where he could often be seen walking along the river smoking the obligatory pipe."
His words and intellect will be missed.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Grass condemned Germany's past actions during the period of the Third Reich, but until recently neglected to mention his own role as a member of the Nazi party and a soldier in the dread Waffen SS. He continued, until his death to condemn Israel for arming itself against Iran and others. It is nice he smoked a pipe, but that doesn't make him a hero. Stalin also smoked a pipe.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Grass was something of a lightning rod. My opinion is that he seemed to get sidetracked by his early success and spent too much effort looking for ways to preach to his admiring choir. I'm happy he was known as a pipesmoker and that he was capable od stirring people to think, but but that is about as far as it goes.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I'm not posting this because I think Grass is a hero, but because I feel saddened by these historical figures that smoke a pipe passing away one after another, Also, I am always curious about what the favorite smoke were for them (e.g. C.S. Lewis liked Three Nuns), and here I shared one piece of knowledge to recall, when anyone of us may try Larsen's blend in the future.
I don't want to turn this fun and hobby forum to anything too political or religious related, but anti-Israel about their alleged war crimes doesn't equal to behaving like a Nazi as how they did in the old days. Thanks for the carefully monitored post-war education curriculum of 2-years of detailed study of their own mistake in the world world to tell help shameful they should feel, modern Germans are castrated beasts that can be ashamed of their own country and their own culture and can feel incredibly embarrassed by just holding their own flag. Now, have that in mind, see clearly who has the most overseas men deployed in many other parts of the world rather than just surrounding the border, and who has the most ready to deploy nuclear technology that was also once tried, despite debts and despite many people and families in the same land are not inline with these decisions. Sometimes things can just be too big to change, and effort of the people is usually negligible. I am not a German but I share views more with historians and non-mainstream critics such as Oliver Stone, those who are brave enough to criticize their own government and the history, just like Grass.
Here is a more neutral and decently written post about his life:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/world/europe/gunter-grass-german-novelist-dies-at-87.html?_r=0
Perhaps the ultimate pipe-smoker hero will eternally be Einstein or the fictional Gandalf.

:worship:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I don't want to turn this fun and hobby forum to anything too political or religious related,
I typically would not comment, but you should have stopped there, as the rest of the paragraph is, no offense, nonsense. Oliver Stone....please.
The Tin Drum and Dog Years are two excellent novels, and earned Grass the literary reputation he deserved, his later politics, I never really payed attention to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.