Pipe Smoking Article from The Washington Post.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for posting the link.
:clap: very well written.
In those days, pipe smoke was a man's signature scent. It was the incense in the Church of Dad, a burnt offering to the god of domesticated masculinity, a symbol of benevolent paternalism

Dec 24, 2012
I thought this was a very well written article. I have to say, though, it left me a little depressed, like I'm a member of some dying species, one of the last of my kind. Is the future really that grim for pipe smoking?
And I wear fedoras too . . . sigh

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@jud I have no doubt that there's more today then seven years ago! But I feel like this is more of a comparison of the 50's and 60's compared to today.

Dec 24, 2012
Is there any empirical evidence to back up the claim that there are more pipe smokers today than 7 years ago? Clearly pipe tobacco sales won't give us a reliable answer because we know those stats are inflated because of the sale of RYO tobacco in the guise of pipe tobacco.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Loved it. For some reason I was under the impression that pipe smoking was coming back . . . maybe not.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Great article. I bet John Halt smoked a pipe, although I can't remember.
There is a class of people in general, of which I only know a few, that are living relics of a dying age. These people, like my grandmother, are monuments to the way things used to be. She carries with her a joy that many folks today have failed to unlock. Her core is rock solid and built from the bottom up with love, justice, and decency. She is able to carry on when others lose heart. If she were able she would carry everyone she loves to the finish line before feeding them all, again.
She represents everything a modern hero should be. When today's men and women cannot sustain through the rough and tumble, or show integrity in the mirror that judges life, there are a few humble warriors of life whose deeds ring as true as Sunday church bells. My grandmother is one of those pillars.
The stuff of the past on no great mystery in my opinion, but the modern world has turned away, and now holds an entirely new system of values. She grew up in a time that is being eroded with a great quickness and progressive turning of the tides.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Declined yes, going away I think not. I see plenty of youths in the pipes store where I get my goodies, buying their first pipe.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It was a good article but from what I have heard, pipe smoking showed an increase for the first time in decades back in 2008 - the "renaissance" of microblenders and high quality tobaccos of which we are all a part was responsible for this great feat.
Our biggest challenges, though, lie ahead...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Great article, but if you try and read it today it brings you to www.WashingtonPost.com, rather than the article itself. Could you please post a specific link again so that we can file it for future reference or forward it on to friends and loved ones?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Not sure what I was thinking, or what happened, but this time, the article just came up again, so please disregard my earlier request.

Status
Not open for further replies.