Pipe Smoking Annoyance

(80 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from hotjazzbaby
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What was or is the most annoying thing you experienced while learning to smoke a pipe? Was it learning how to pack it correctly? Light it properly? Learning when to dry your tobacco more? I have had a good learning curve. I enjoy my smokes, but I always get a little annoyed when I realize I might not have packed tight enough or packed to tightly. Still learning to dry my blends out more and it's certainly hard to distinguish what's dry enough and what needs more. I let some dry for 2 hours today, and it still could have used more. But then again, it's been really humid of late. That's probably my biggest annoyance. Drying for what I feel like is long enough, smoking for almost 20 minutes with only half a bowl gone and hearing that dreaded gurgle. I know I'm not a wet smoker... Oh well, things will only get better with practice.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

I get most annoyed when I pack too tight and get a hot flavorless bowl. It only happens when the tobacco is a little too moist. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's usually Samuel Gawith flakes. They take forever to dry and can smoke wetter than they feel to my touch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it was packing too tight. Fixed it with the Czech tool pick until I got the right technique down for each individual tobacco.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked waaaaaay too fast when I was starting out. That coupled with wet tobacco, my mouth didn't appreciate that.

Then Jesse or MSO said to slow down and enjoy - best piece of pipe smoking advice I ever got.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still I'm getting annoyed if and when I'm having a tongue bite/leathery feel, presumably this the result of my lousy packing techniques and often too fast smoking habits,yet I never smoke no tobacco right from the pouch but always trying to find time leaving it to air.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Mike, that'd sure do it, all right.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

After spending decades and thousands of dollars on briar pipes only to find that cobs smoke as good or sometimes better than the briars.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even with growing up around pipe smokers who clenched and never puffed, it was hardest for me to overcome that desire to puff a cloud of smoke. Coming from cigarettes, I just wanted that blowing smoke feeling. But, when I reflected on how the real lifelong pipesmokers of my youth smoked, and hanging out at the Briary, I realized that it is about keeping the pipe smoldering and burning on the edge of going out. This led me to much slower smokes with a lot more enjoyment. Plus, people stopped looking at me like I had no clue what I was doing.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most annoying thing is the important technique that you did the worst, with that smoke. on that day. The beginning is the hardest time as you probably are doing more than one thing wrong, and the delightful frustration is to keep moving forward by forgiving yourself for doing wrong today what you did right yesterday. Try to be calm and focused:

1. You are practicing drying tobacco. Lots of smokers feel this works best. I don't. You decide. As you are finding, drying tobacco requires thinking in advance to put it out.
    2. packing. Very important. More loose than tight. I think of loose as enabling the draw to more quickly pass down the chamber and oxygenate the coal. I used gravity packing.
    3. technique, or slow smoking. Critical, otherwise your mouth gets to hurting. "chasingembers" (Duane) and Alan Kerslake have great videos on Youtube.
    4. Remember to have fun! Technique and its required concentration move you forward, but enjoy the motion of that journey, frustrating as it is just now..

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I hated, early on, packing and smoking that perfect pipe, and not remembering how I did it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KWYM, Cosmic. Always a fine line between keeping it *just* going, or being at the point where you have to put flame to it every 2 minutes. :

Bill

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finding out your life long tobacco blend now tastes like Giraffe shit!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's honestly one of the things I love about pipe smoking - that it makes you slow down and take your time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Always a fine line between keeping it *just* going, or being at the point where you have to put flame to it every 2 minutes. :

That's what makes breath smoking great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" makes you slow down and take your time" -- You got it, Mike. There's just something very not-Type-A about the whole pipe thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

There's just something very not-Type-A about the whole pipe thing.

Bingo

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, it was getting things figured out to a workable relationship between drying, packing, and cadence, and then switching blends and starting the whole process over. It annoyed the heck out of me. The worst was when I started smoking Dark Star. I still don't know if I know how to smoke it the best way, 15 years later. I dry it out, then dry it some more, then cube cut it and get a passable burn, good flavor and experience, but keep thinking I could be doing better. I guess it won't be much of an issue when the last few tins I have cellared are gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

When the bowl runs out!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it was Time Management
    I came from cigars and kinda knew about cadence and smoking slowly, etc. However, the pipe involved actual time management, bowl size, drying time, cadence, wind, indoor/outdoor, Va vs English, so MANY variables that were affected by time. In the beginning I wanted to try many blends and would try to "squeeze it in" each night. But that strategy fell to crap quickly, tongue bite, harsh tobacco, etc. Once I slowed down and budgeted my time better, it was a whole new world.

Also annoying was the strong want/need to chase the rare tobaccos everyone was talking about online. I was a lone wolfe for a few years and put this game together myself. So I thought I had to rush and get the rare stuff. But that is a poor strategy even if very common out there. Heck, learn to taste the smoke before you know why the rare stuff is so popular.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In hindsight the most annoying thing that comes to mind is trudging through endless aromatics and English blends before having my Virginia epiphany.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it was Time Management

The other day, I was picking up some drive thru food for my girls, and the manager noted my pipe, saying it was "badass." He was asking about getting out of cigarettes and into pipes for smoking on his "breaks." I just told him to stick to cigs, as a pipe is just not very practical for 14-30 minute intervals. I just keep a pipe going all day, and if I only had a short interval of time under an hour to smoke, I would just grab a cigarette. In fact, I think that this slave industry of 8 hour work days where you can't smoke except at allotted times is what gave rise to cigarettes over pipes to begin with. They are more for people with more leisure time or mastery over their domain to be able to smoke at will.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cadence.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I worked with a guy that smoked a pipe quite regularly. His Time Management was fairly consistent. He would step out of the office with his pipe already loaded, fir it up, get in a 15 minute smoke, then tamp it out, slide his pipe back into his pouch and go back in for a few more hours. He did this 3 or 4 times a day. I can only imagine that he started with a full bowl, and just put it out after his time was up, scraping just the top coat of ash off each time, since I never saw him empty the bowl completely unless it was lunch time. Maybe to some that would be a hassle, but I find that when I want to step outside and get away from work for even 15 minutes, a half-bowl is better than no bowl in the essence of preserving my sanity.

I'm still learning, and probably will until I either stop smoking or die. Same with engineering. There's something to say for slowing down. I love the process. Selecting which blend I want to smoke, pulling out a bowlful, smelling and appreciating the aroma for what it is as I do. Laying it out to dry, and attempting to learn how long is long enough without losing to much of the aroma that made me buy it in the first place. Packing my bowl with the gravity method, puffing regularly to make sure it's not too tight, or so I think. Then lighting my match letting the sulfur dissipate, and charring the top. Tamping down on it a little, making those curled up, fringed ribbons lay down, then strike up another match and light the whole top again, immersing myself in a cloud of smoke. Then I kick back on my porch, pipe in hand, dog at my side, cool drink in my other and listen to the frogs and owls until I've smoked it up. I still get a gurgle once in a while near the bottom third of my bowl, but I'm slowly caring less and less about it. All in all, it's quite calming and I love it. Annoyances may persist, especially like many of you have said with switching blends and learning what it takes to make that one smoke the best. Once you figure it out, there's only one bowl left, but that's just the sweetest part about it. It's like making a new friend that you never really figure out until he moves away. Then someone new moves in, and you get to start all over again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The weird aftertaste with aromatics when that was mostly what I smoked. It kept me from smoking daily, and made it less regretful when I quit in support of my late wife quitting cigarettes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

I agree with everyone on one point or another.Having smoked a blend and it's awesome to have the next time you smoke it find it's awful.Then you realize you used the packing and smoking method from the wrong blend and ended up with wet hot air where you should have had dry cool smokey aroma therapy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poetic, Carolina!

My annoyance, long ago dissipated, was the notion that smoking cadence was the key to a gurgle and tongue-bite free smoke. It's important, but drier tobacco is more important.

Second annoyance was the insistence there be a charring light, always followed by a second ("true") light BS. It can be a part of your ritual, fine, but it doesn't have to be.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

as a pipe is just not very practical for 14-30 minute intervals

Not at all. I take a pipe to work everyday.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree. A full pipe can be smoked in intervals and there can be a handful of intervals. Be it 5 minutes or 25, there's more to have later, and dumping ash isn't always required. (A thin layer of ash is a good thing on relights)

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yep, and just stick it in your pocket until the next break.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My biggest annoyance was trying to smoke blends with red virginia's and had no idea why my tongue was getting scorched. Once I learned I had an allergy to the reds I was able to concentrate my purchasing on blends without them. I built a 20 year cellar in a year and that was due to my knowing what blends wouldn't burn my tongue off.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

15 minutes with a pipe wouldn't be worth it to me, nor someone trying to get a nic fix, coming off of cigarettes. in 15 minutes, not enough smoke would have passed through my mouth to make it worth it. And, with time coming down on me, I would feel a need to puff faster, which wouldn't do anything except make for a miserable time. For someone with experience who just wants a quick taste, fine, whatever floats your boat. But, for me, and suggested to a young man wanting to use the pipe to get off cigarettes, my suggestion is to quit first, because the pipe isn't going to work well for a beginner like that, IMO. Besides, nothing makes a man want to do something more than having someone tell them that they shouldn't or can't. I also told him that him that he probably couldn't afford a really nice pipe. I figure that knowing human beings as well as I do, he will be smoking Bo Nordh pipes on his break the next time I see him, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. echambers

echambers

Login to Send PM

I get why people say this but several people recommended a cob and a Lane 1Q as sort of s starter set when I first wanted to try a pipe. While this was an inexpensive way to go I almost didn't keep at it because it wasn't a very satisfying experience - especially coming from being a long time cigar smoker.

The other thing, sort of related, is that there is no substitute for first hand experience. I didn't know anyone who smoked a pipe and there is only so much you can get from videos and forums like this. For example, no video is going to help you understand what tobacco should feel like like...

"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I didn't know anyone who smoked a pipe and there is only so much you can get from videos and forums like this.

At least you had those. When I started smoking a pipe, the internet didn't exist. I don't understand recommending aros to new guys either. Those are best enjoyed after learning good technique with a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most annoying thing to me (although not major itself) is the choice... It's hard enough to choose which pipe you want to smoke when you have two or three. Once you get 10, 20, 30, 40, and upwards you can stand in front of your pipes tapping your chin with one finger for an hour or two before finally picking one up! And then you have to choose what blend out of the countless blends you might have at your disposal to fill that pipe with. And then once again, while tapping your chin with one finger another hour or two passes. You finally load up your pipe and realize it's time for bed! Ok, I might be exaggerating at least a little, but I'm sure most of us here have had those moments of indecision at one time or another. Now, I keep a 6 pipe rack and another pipe on a single stand at my table and choose my pipes for a weekly rotation. Once those pipes have all been smoked at least once or I have smoked them all throughout a week (sometimes I don't get a chance for a smoke or just don't feel like it and the rotation stays longer than a week) I'll then pick 7 more pipes. This has also helped me bring pipes back into the fold that I haven't smoked for quite some time. I'll take a photo of each weekly rotation to catalog which pipes have been smoked. I can just look at the photos on my phone and see if a pipe hasn't been photographed in the rotation for quite some time. I learned that sometimes even your best smokers tend to get neglected sometimes, and this has helped.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anthony, nice system. I still just stare at my collection for maybe 10 minutes sometimes before choosing a pipe. I always pick the blend I want to smoke first so I know which set of pipes goes with what blends. It doesn't take me nearly as long to pick a tobacco, not sure why as I do have 40 to choose from.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anthony, nice system. I still just stare at my collection for maybe 10 minutes sometimes before choosing a pipe. I always pick the blend I want to smoke first so I know which set of pipes goes with what blends. It doesn't take me nearly as long to pick a tobacco, not sure why as I do have 40 to choose from.
    This has actually helped me choose blends as well, because when I choose my pipe rotation, I try to pick at least two for Balkan/English, two for Aromatics, and the others for Virginia or Virginia/Perique, and at least one for flakes. And I can always add an eighth pipe to the mix if need be.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I don't have as big a problem as you fellas, maybe one day. Right now, I have two cobbs, a nice Erik Nording, a $45 Tinder Box with the word "CZECH" stamped on the bottom and two hand-made churchwardens to choose from. I'm happy with my selection process, and lack of a huge collection to have to choose from. I mean, I have my eyes on others, obviously, but I'm in no hurry to acquire a large collection. I figure I'll pick up more and more as I move along. I've been saying all along that I just want one of every type, such as briar, meer, etc., maybe a few different profile options and that's all...then you see something else you really love and want, so we'll see. Really digging my MM Charles Towne Cobbler right now and might just smoke that one interchangebly with my Nording. I only have a few tobaccos to choose from as well, so it doesn't take me too awful long to decide. This Labrador has been smoking like a dream for the past few days, so I'm sticking with it for a bit. Options are nice, but if I have too many, I'll never get to actually smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not knowing to dry the tobacco.
    When I started smoking in '92, tongue bite was tough and painful, which is probably why I started smoking mostly RYO tobaccos in my pipe. Even after visiting (and buying a pipe and tobaccos from) a real pipe shop in '98 no one ever told me the secret of drying tobaccos. I accidently discovered that sometime in '99, and that was really an enlightening experience for me.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Those rare occasions when I can't smoke the bowl to the bottom on one light and the ash isn't perfectly fine and white.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never smoked to fine what ash but was a champion gooper; that is, I produced a thick gooey tobacco mess that I tried to unload to various newbs as super dottle, if not useful to smoke then very effective in patching holes in the bottom of shoes. I produced said goop quite intentionally by trying to smoke wet, this by pointing the pipe down and letting saliva ease into the stem. I produced two types,, normal and ethyl, the latter from chewing on jalapeños in the course of the downward drooling.

Super dottle available on request at the low, low introductory price of $5 per.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An overtightly packed bowl sucks.

I always pack loose and tamp as I go. But every once once in a while, I overdo it. And regret it.

I also dislike my last puff going foul as I smoked it down too far. I try to end it while its' still smoking sweet.

Another annoyance ? People far away from me while smoking outside and coughing as if it's gagging them or something.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse and Anthony illustrating the gauntlet of first world problems we face...

And, which ascot to wear with which pipe.....

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could package and market that shoe patching goop.

You could call it......Salted Plug!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kola, you can use the old Bill Hicks line on them.

"Man, that's a nasty cough. Good thing you don't SMOKE!"

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m frustrated that I can’t fold and stuff and enjoy the smoke.
    I think it’s worked for me once out of a dozen tries.
    That’s way below the Mendoza line.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm frustrated that I can't get a good smoke out of my Falcon. Not really frustrated, as I have other options, but I'd like to enjoy the darned thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m frustrated that I can’t fold and stuff and enjoy the smoke.
    I think it’s worked for me once out of a dozen tries.
    They need to be pretty dry. And the flake and bowl size also are factors. Being pressed so thin, once contacted by heat, the moisture in the tobacco will cause them to expand and impede how well they burn. What seemed like a loose pack before lighting might suddenly be overstuffed. If you're using two flakes, consider using one and a half flakes or simply one. If it's a wider flake, you might need to trim a bit off the edge. It seems the char light needs to be very thorough as well. I've struggled with flakes in the past myself, but I've recently acquired a few pipes that smoke flakes very well, but between different flakes there's still a bit of a learning curve. For instance, one of my Stanwells takes two flakes of one blend, but only one flake of another to have a good smoke. Take into account, the bowl size, width of the flake, thickness of the flake, and length of the flake, and make an educated guess as how best to prepare them prior to fold and stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"as if it's gagging them" -- Funny the details a comment will remind you of. Back 1000 years ago when I was in college (OK, 45, not 1000, so sue me.), I was smoking Borkum Riff & a couple of the coeds sniffed haughtily & asked if I could move to the other side of the door (which would put me INside, go figure). Being the typical cocky 20-yr-old college kid I offered to move it to the other side of my mouth. Not a nice thing to say, but then again neither had their remarks been, since I'd been sitting there long before they walked up.

The weird thing is I even remember the specific pipe I was using, a nice Comoy's Lumberman. Odd that I'd remember that one so clearly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I was smoking Borkum Riff & a couple of the coeds sniffed haughtily & asked if I could move to the other side of the door

Well, c'mon man! It was Borkum Riff. What else would you expect? Flies drop dead on contact. I smoked an aromatic that smelled a bit chocolatey and the coeds LOVED that! The rest I'll leave up to your lurid imaginations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1+ for Cosmic, You real nailed it,and Condorlover1-Simon,I fully understand your reference here, sad thing they went messing with Condor blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aw, c'mon, sable, BITD that was actually a pretty fair room note. We've gotten spoiled these days. Admittedly I could have smoked Greenbrier "for her," but even then I was of the opinion that Kentucky Club brands should have been required to include an asbestos tongue cover with every pouch of that that they sold. GAWD, it wa' awful (or offal, maybe a better term).

As far as you, girls, & "lurid," well....... }:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

curl, which flakes are you trying to fold and stuff? Some flakes just don't work that well unless you get the perfect humidity, such as Samuel Gawith flakes. Also flakes like Mac Baren Old Dark Fired are thick and leathery and can be difficult to fold and stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mostly I’ve tried the fold and stuff method with the PS Luxury flakes and with Orlik and Dunhill flakes.
    I’ve lost count of the videos and other advice I’ve tried to make it work.
    Oh well, my pot grinder hasn’t failed me yet to turn flakes into smokable units.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Curl, never thought of using a pot grinder to break up flakes - interesting tip.

Another annoyance, probably not applicable to you folks in the US, is the incredible cost of the hobby in Canada. There are a lot of roadblocks to getting on board.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope you solve your fold and stuff issue because I get a remarkable deep flavor from the ODF when it's F&S that seems just a bit less fulfilling with rubbed out or cubed preparation.

One thing I do that may help. As I fold and prepare to stuff, I kind of "twist" back and forth on it a bit from about mid way towards the top part, loosening it up within the folded bundle some. I think it helps with the ignition process a bit.

As everyone else has been saying, this all became feasible AFTER I resolved my inadequate dry time matter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mostly I’ve tried the fold and stuff method with the PS Luxury flakes
    A video was posted a while back in which Per Jensen took two PS Luxury Bullseye Flakes, put them together, merely folded them in two (into a half moon shape) and put them in the pipe. I tried it, and it worked wonderfully. Dry a couple flakes for a while and give it a try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lord knows, I am not a 'neat freak' nor do I concern myself with regular housekeeping other than what is essential and prudent, but, as I read the responses to the OP's question, and concur with most, I reflect in an attempt to isolate what might be considered an annoyance for a pipe smoker, besides a burned tongue from smoking a too tightly packed pipe too fast that hadn't been dried enough.

The very word annoyance in conjunction with our 'hobby' is counterintuitive, yet essential to our experience, in some way.

But, back to not being a neat freak, I thought, maybe it's the ash, the detritus from lighting a pipe, or the constant need to sweep around my 'cockpit' the little flecks of tobacco that magically find their way from my computer chair to all parts of the surrounding area, that 'annoys' me? Dirty pipe cleaners, dirty pipes, crudded stems, smoke coated ceilings?

I'm willing to endure these relatively minor inconveniences. The pipe is my way of making peace with my nicotine addiction and worth a little annoyance to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>"incredible cost of the hobby in Canada." -- Mike, I apologize; I meant to ask you about this yesterday & I forgot (my addled memory being a major annoyance in & of itself!). I'm inferring high taxes on the leaf. What other roadblocks do y'all suffer there that add to the problem?

'Broom, I know the feeling, definitely. Not the ash so much as the dang flakes that inVARiably find their way onto the sofa, car seat, desk, floor, windows (OK, fibbing on that one).... I "solved" the problem by buying several whiskbroom/dustpan sets to stash at each place. Guessing, but if I saved them I'd probably have enough for close to a full bowl each week. :

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>"incredible cost of the hobby in Canada." -- Mike, I apologize; I meant to ask you about this yesterday & I forgot (my addled memory being a major annoyance in & of itself!). I'm inferring high taxes on the leaf. What other roadblocks do y'all suffer there that add to the problem?

how much time do you have?

The taxes are quite restrictive. A 50g tin of anything is roughly $39us. Also, if you are to find a brick and mortar shop, chances are their selection is very sparse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gawd a'mighty, that's bloody heinous!! I figured in some provinces where "big" towns aren't that numerous *or* populous, it'd be difficult to find a good B&M. Even in cities like Calgary, Edmonton, or Red Deer as opposed to, oh, heck, Yellowknife, my guess'd be the options aren't exactly like London [the other one :)] or New York.

You truly do have my sympathy; it'd take a really dedicated smoker to put up with all that & still stay with it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get annoyed when people want to take my picture while I am just setting in town enjoying my pipe, or worse, they want a picture with me. It's just as bad when I am setting there minding my own business, and some stranger sets down and takes me smoking my pipe as an invitation to talk, as if I have any inclination of taking my pipe out of my mouth. Or worse, they want to know how to get started smoking a pipe. So, I at least have to take my pipe out of my mouth long enough to tell them to get lost, they just aren't cool enough to smoke a pipe. Young punks, want to smoke a pipe, who do they think they are? If they want to smoke a pipe, they can just google it. It's just irritating how many times I have to take my pipe out of my mouth to respond to some rude intruder on my pipe enjoyment. And, pictures!!! How rude!! Assholes, like they've never seen a respectful, grown man, minding his own business, wearing a bunny suit walking about town with a pipe. The freaks! dammit!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dang, Cosmic, you grumpy his a.m. You needs therapy -- of the Frog Morton kind & a double margarita kind.

Can def relate, though. There are times when I want just me around.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You probably just skimmed over the next to last sentence.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

....like they've never seen a respectful, grown man, minding his own business, wearing a bunny suit walking about town with a pipe.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, C, you got me. I wasn't paying strict attention, true. First time I've gotten caught on something like that in while.

Like a friend of mine who said she tried to commit suicide with her oven, but it didn't work. "Damn electric stove...." More coffee, Bill.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Cosmic as a child.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry Cosmic ... BUT ... This man is the ONLY pipe smoker who truly wore a bunny suit while smoking a pipe!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I did find Peckinhombre in a bunny suit. But, of course you'd have to be familiar with who Peck is, since he's been scarce on the forums for a few years.

But, you might have to dig a little deeper to find me in one.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele