PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
Hello everyone
I am new to the hobby & I searched for some answers but I couldn't find any, does anyone here engage in a regular work out and how pipe smoking affect your performance?.Am asking because Due to some health problems I had to go into a strict diet and vigorous work out, that was earlier this year before I begun to smoke pipes, and I was doing nearly an hour of Cardio with just a 2 minutes break, now after adopting the hobby I can't even finish half an hour unless I rest for 5 minutes or more and it's too hard for me to end my routine, I really don't know whether it`s the winter or it's the pipe smoking, or maybe both, that affected my performance!?.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Unless you're inhaling, you shouldn't see any effect on your ability to breath or participate in the same activity as before. Now if you're trying to run with a pipe in your mouth, that's a different story :)

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I've been working out all of my life and just started smoking a pipe daily for a little more than 3 years. My performance at the gym has'nt changed a bit. Nothing to do with your pipe smoking.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I used to play lacrosse at the NCAA and Junior A levels, and I have not noticed an issue as far as my cardio is concerned since picking up the pipe. That being said, my endurance is lower, but I blame that on lack of intensity, not my pipe smoking.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
All comes down to whether you inhale and how much you smoke...I ride my road bike 3 times a week at a fast pace...and notice a slight difference...not enough for me to worry about. If I was riding 200 miles a week and racing like I did back in the '90s, I wouldn't be smoking....now I find it's better to enjoy many things in moderation, than one thing to excess...

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I do 10 - 20 miles a week either outside or tredmill or a combo. Have not noticed any real hinderance. I guess I would have to stop to see if it makes it easier, but thats not in my plans

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
I don't inhale and I smoke one bowl a day, it might be something else and I will check it out when I visit my doctor.

Thank you all for your answers.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
OK the scientific explanation for reduced performance is that nicotine is a vaso-dilator the amount it effects you is dependent on your body chemistry and your reaction to nicotine. If you are a body builder (I used to be when I was younger) you will know that there are many body building supplements that carry oxygen to muscles by opening up vascular pathways from the heart. The idea is that muscle performs better when well oxygenated. I would expect if you were an athlete you would see some reduction of performance depending on the amount of Nicotine that you take in. There are many factors and its tough to just blame nicotine but to call a spade a spade I would say that smoking anything is counter productive to your hard core training. That being said, nicotine aids in digestion, sleep, and relaxation all of which might counter the negative. To each person his own. I believe there are many more benefits of my pipe smoking than negative. I play early morning hockey on Sundays at 6:30am in a men's league. Some call them old timers. Anyway a guy who played with us two years ago that used to take 300km bike rides, complete in triathlons and swim competitively. Dropped dead of a heart attack on the ice. We tried CPR and paddles but weren't able to bring him back. Forty years old, fit and never smoked or drank. There are other guys on the team that get off the ice and throw up after our first game of the season, have beer belly's and smoke a pack a day and they are still kicking. I say do what you want cause the big guy takes you when its your time!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I agree with piperl, do what you want. You could be fit as shit and never have a drink or smoke in your life and still drop dead in your prime. You could also smoke and drink everyday and never lift a weight and live a full life (though with some health problems, nobody gets to escape them ALL).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Since I began smoking a pipe in 1970 I've avoided doing push-ups. Other than that I have not noticed any detriment to my regimen although sometimes my scotch sloshes while walking at a brisk pace.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
Anyway a guy who played with us two years ago that used to take 300km bike rides, complete in triathlons and swim competitively. Dropped dead of a heart attack on the ice. We tried CPR and paddles but weren't able to bring him back. Forty years old, fit and never smoked or drank

May God rest his soul.
I say do what you want cause the big guy takes you when its your time
That exactly what led me to pipe smoking, I am 26 and I thought if I had health problems now and I haven't enjoyed my life then when will I do?, so I decided to overcome the health problems that I already have and as a reward do something that will give me enjoyment & make me relax. That is (How I Met My first Pipe) :puffy:

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@abdulaziz I think he was kidding about the push ups. Pretty sure he just didn't want to do the push ups lol good attitude about health issues. Might was well live your life you only get one kick at it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've always been a walker. But in my mid 40s I began to get serious about it, clocking about 20 to 25 miles per week of brisk / fast walking. I do more in warm weather than I do in cold. I just enjoy walking, sometimes around a half mile track near my home, or loops in local parks. On alternate days I take our large dog. I try to shoot for 5 miles a day or six miles every other day, depending on the weather and work schedule. I just feel better when I walk. It's low impact, and gives a good cardio for one hour full bore. If I push it I can fast walk a mile in 12 min. around the track. Anyways, as to pipe smoking, everyone's got a different intake or level of resistance. You've got to listen to your body. And, like was said above, its all a game of chance.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Since I began smoking a pipe in 1970 I've avoided doing push-ups
Is there any risk of doing so?.
Well, if you're smoking a pipe while doing pushups, you risk smacking the pipe on the floor... :nana:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Been smoking a pipe and lifting for a couple years now... I honestly cant tell a difference on any level. Actually... I have gained much more muscle mass in the past couple years while smoking a pipe.. It has had no affect on me when it comes to fitness... Just stay consistent and eat well, you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.