PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've been doing a pretty intense work out every other day for a while now. 30 minutes of cardio, an hour and 15 min of strength training.
I've been getting the urge to stop smoking a pipe. An urge which I've beaten down with proper good sense and appreciation for good tobacco.
Anyone else staying fit in between puffs? :puffpipe:

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I was supposed to start working out with my cousin this month, but I broke my hand. As soon as it heals, I might start.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I spend about 45 minutes in the gym Monday through Friday mornings. I smoke a pipe on the ride to the gym.

From my perspective, the two activities are mutually exclusive.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hint: do not do push-ups while smoking a pipe. All other physical activity is pipe friendly. On a serious note, I do walk 3 miles every morning, 7 days a weeks, with a friend regardless of the weather. It makes for some interesting mornings.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
When I started taking working out seriously a while back, one of the reasons was to kill cigarette cravings. Among other bad habits such as living off of fast food and energy drinks, I needed a change. I did 2 rounds of P90X and lost 35 pounds.
I'm considering doing another round once the Holidays are over, because it's so time consuming but so much fun. Now I follow a looser plan and am currently on a cutting phase. Right now I'm alternating lifting/cardio days. I'll do a lifting day and follow it with 20 min of low intensity cardio and on other days I'll do an hour of interval training on a treadmill, elliptical, or stair stepper.
Funny thing in regard to what you're experiencing - I've found my most satisfying bowls have been smoked after a 5 mile run or a lift. Maybe it's because the blood is flowing and the nic gets around quick. Whatever the reason, nothing finishes my evening like a pipe!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I go jogging 3 or 4 times a week. Plus I started doing Yoga at home(I'm using muscles I never knew I had). I thought yoga was just for women but after some friends told me about how it is I thought I'd give it a shot and it's much harder than I expected.
I think you can be healthy and smoke the pipe.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I thought yoga was just for women but after some friends told me about how it is I thought I'd give it a shot and it's much harder than I expected.
+1
The hardest tape in P90X for me, and many others on my team is the Yoga one. Yoga is no joke let me tell you.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I go to the gym 5 days a week now, and I am usually there for about 3 hours a night. During that time, I often step outside and take a nice pipe break. Needless to say, I get some pretty odd looks. :crazy:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Ran 7 miles this AM. On my days off I run in the mornings and usually smoke my pipe in the afternoon. When im at work i still smoke my pipe in the afternoon and run/strength train in the evenings. I dont feel pipe smoking is restricting my running abilities as 7 miles is the most ive ever run and i did it in 59:55. about an 8:40/mile average. granted, i am training for the half marathon this spring in my city.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I do crossfit 4 times a week, and smoke 1-6 bowls during weekends only. I have had the same considerations regarding health and performance, but my conclusion is; why work out if you don't allow yourself to live?! ...So I keep puffing! :puffy:

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I work out allot... Ive been training Muay Thai for almost 20 years now and even used to fight in smokers. Now I still train Muay Thai but I also do a crossfit/strongman hybrid of workout... I also will run up to 20 miles at times... cross country!

When I had money I was doing allot of obstacle/mud races too.
I eat, drink and smoke my pipe! anytime I want! :D
oh and Ive been smoking a pipe since I was 22... so thats what? 21 years?
why work out if you don't allow yourself to live?!
EXACTLY!
#EDIT - just as an FYI I dont always run 20 miles LOL... on average its more like 8-10 miles ... just want to clarify :P

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Austin that Yoga aint no joke right?
Heck no it isn't. Never sweated as much as I did my first time. Specifically Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. All those moving sequences just kill me.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I work out 5 or 6 days a week, do Martial Arts twice a week and i havent seen where the pipe affects this whatsoever other than sometimes feeling lazy and rather be smoking a pipe than sweating my brains out.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I run and do weight training 4 days a week. I usually smoke my pipe when I'm relaxing after the gym or at night at the end of a shift at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.