PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristofer

Lurker
Jun 18, 2012
As a fairly new pipe smoker, I am curious to know some experienced pipe smokers' thoughts on nicotine addiction. I don't necessarily have a huge problem with the addiction part, as I enjoy pipe smoking so much (plus it has got me off cigarettes), but I am curious as to what you think on it. Do you feel it is a problem? If you had to, could you stop smoking a pipe for a long period of time without a fuss?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I smoke less for the nicotine hit and more for the flavor and the time to myself.
I smoked cigarettes for a number of years, and the nicotine addiction then was very strong and difficult to kick. On top of that, particularly in my late 20s, just made me feel lousy.
Pipe smoking for me is very different. If I stopped, I would miss it, but not to satisfy a nicotine craving.

kristofer

Lurker
Jun 18, 2012
Zanthal, I completely agree with you.
Cigarettes became a chore and a hindrance to me, not to say there is anything wrong with cigarette smoking if that is what you enjoy, but for me it just wasn't right. The ability to sit and enjoy every puff of a long smoke is what really pulled me into pipe smoking. I really hope it never becomes a chore for me, and at this point I can't see that happening :)

Jul 15, 2011
I often take breaks between smoking a pipe without any ill effects or crummy feelings. When I say breaks, I will go 4, 5 days, sometimes a week without smoking, then when I go back to it Ill fire up 4 or 5 pipes in the course of a day and not really notice much. I do love a good nic buzz every once in a while when Ive had a really bad day, sort of levels me out. I have never smoked cigarettes so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never smoked cigarettes. I smoke a pipe because I enjoy it, same reason I smoke cigars. For me it's my relaxation time. If I had to I could go days or weeks without a pipe or cigar, but I smoke on regular basis because I enjoy the hobby.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Well I just had my first smoke in two weeks. Addicted? Nope.....I enjoyed the heck out of it but I do not have that ," Have to have it" feeling. I've been busy since our new baby boy was born two weeks ago. After the 10:30 feeding and a diaper change got the new born down. I got the feeling for some ME time. So loaded my clay with Sterling sweet briar and a Scotch and water on the back porch with the faithful dog at my feet while every one is sleeping.
Brilliant few moments of peaceful enjoyment! That is what pipe smoking is about for me. Quiet reflective time. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd like to think that I'm not addicted, but I am not completely sure. I can go a day without smoking, but I miss the process perhaps more than the nicotine? In the past year, the longest I've gone without a pipe is one day. To my wife, it appears addictive...(as I sit in a rather cool garage in sweatpants/jacket smoking in the winter...)

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I can't smoke 3 days a week due to my work, and I have never felt like i needed to smoke when I get the chance. I don't think I'm addicted by any means, I just enjoy relaxing when I can =)

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Its not addictive at all, I can go days/weeks without. I only smoke one bowl a day, usually in the morning with my coffee and enjoy it very much. I have only ever felt a slight nicotine hit once from pipes, usually nothing at all - just love the relaxation and tasting the flavours in the tobacco.

ivorhughjarse

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Its too early for me to be addicted but its not the nicotine, if that was removed and the taste stayed then I'd be fine with that, but as someone commented above it's the "process" of smoking the pipe that I miss if I don't have a smoke. I'm one that gets relaxation just by getting ready to smoke, I'm so hooked on the process that I've thrown away my lighters and I do enjoy lighting with a match or a taper having the flame dance above the bowl. It's lonely hobby but gives my a good 35 mins of "me time" with my thoughts. That bit I am addicted to!

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I smoke three sometimes four bowls a day but don't feel at all addicted to it,I smoke for the flavour and relaxation.When I was in hospital having surgery on my shoulder I did not miss it at all,just held the pipe in my other hand when I came home :lol:

Tom

Reactions: DIYpiper

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
I'm definitely addicted, yet I go to work for 8 hrs. and don't need to smoke a pipe there, even though I could. Away from work,I be smokin. I need baccy, would have a hard time not smokin every day. I take a pipe & baccy to work, but never ever light up when at work. :wink:

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and I enjoy smoking once a week. The nic hit is a plus but I'm not addicted and make an effort to take long breaks between smokes.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've never felt addicted when it comes to pipes and cigars. If anything, I have more of an acquisition disorder though I'm sure many of you guys here are similarly affected :)
I have gone weeks between smokes and never felt myself having a serious need for the nicotine. The only time I ever felt addicted to nicotine was when I was chewing tobacco and dipping snuff as a teenager. If I tried to go without, it was pleasant at all. Thankfully I got myself out of that habit a long ago and can enjoy my tobacco now with "needing" the the fix.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've been addicted to nicotine since I was 15 years old. A fellow three years older got me started on cigarettes and I got hooked real soon. I can go about two hours without one and then would be antsy and couldn't concentrate without one. I've seen times when I'd run out and couldn't get any due to an ice storm or other situations and could have literally smoked my socks after rummaging though the car seats, under the couch, out in the yard and smoked all I could find.
Had I never smoked cigarettes I still think the pipe for me would have been addictive as some of us just have that nature...maybe a different chemical makeup or metabolical need...who knows. Having just picked up the pipe again after years of being away, I still find myself reverting to cigs just not as much since smoking the pipe and of course, inhale.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been ingesting some type of tobacco for 41 years straight. When I am smoking pipes and cigars, I do not crave nicotine I crave the relaxation they provide. Cigarettes are something once you get going becomes a viscous addiction. I have quit them for as long as 6 years in the past only to go back to them. I recently quit again, hopefully for the last time.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I am addicted to the relaxation. It forces me to relax which is soooo beneficial to me. I am a dad of three girls and my wife is a stay at home mom. Things can certainly be stressful at times as it pertains to providing for them. My smoking has opened up a whole new realm of conversations with my wife as well. She enjoys me smoking a pipe as much as I do, which is awesome!
On a side note, I put cigs down in November of 2008 and never looked back. I was certainly addicted to them and am glad I gave them up. Hey Jaybird, good to see you back around man! Put up some more music!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
No offense guys, but there are a lot of ignorant ideas about addiction in this thread. Like virtually anything, pipe smoking can definitely be addicting. A good self-test is whether you pursue a certain activity or substance even when it is debilitating or in the face of continued negative consequences. A warning sign is when you feel like you 'need' something to feel OK. That said, I would imagine that much like alcohol, many people can enjoy pipe smoking without it becoming an addiction.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I'll find out soon enough when they (Gov.) take away my right to smoke my pipe. Coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.