PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nehemias88

Lurker
Sep 28, 2012
So, i was browsing websites for just to see what I should look out for when I smoke for long periods. And I came across this article and couldn't believe what I was reading. A whole bunch of college students doing pipe smoking as an endurance sport. I don't know about you, but this seems to me like it's becoming more of a fad than a pastime. And this article is a bit old as well.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Far be it for me to disparage the Wall Street Journal, but that article was written by someone who hasn't a clue about pipe smoking. The quotes are and have been debunked not only by the infamous C. Everett Koop study but by later studies as well. (referring to the medical references)
The Slow Smoke Competition has many permutations, but the object (save for a few) is to smoke one bowl consisting of 3 grams of tobacco for as long as possible (constrained by certain parameters).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPgdpIupz8
One of our members here Birmingham0Irish is a former U.S. Champion and made a quite respectable showing at the International.
2010-chicago-pipe-show-259.jpg

If you want some insight to the slow smoke please allow me to blow my own horn. Please (if you care to) read my blog on the subject, starting with the oldest post and working your way toward the latest.

Here is the link: Dottle Diggers, Ember Chasing, and Slow Smoking

I don't know if you'll take anything away from the read, but at least it'll give you something to think about.

:puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
I would love to someday do a Slow Smoke competition but I am lucky to keep it going for more than 15 minutes without a relight so it'll be a while.

Aug 14, 2012
In 1958, I and two friends entered the "National (US) Pipe Smoking Contest" in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania.It was what you call a slow smoking contest. About 300 pipesmokers in a huge barn, sitting in rows of rented folding chairs. There were people to whom winning this contest was their goal in life. Lots of women were entered. They gave us a little packet of burley and two wooden matches, which had to be used in the beginning. You raised your hand when your pipe went out. We didn't care much about the contest, to us it was an excuse to get out of town (NYC) for the weekend. I was astonished that I finished eighth, smoking a Peterson billiard with a P lip. I would not do as well today.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Smoking competetions have quite a large fanbase in Europe. Nationals, international championships, training sessions and slow-smoking coaches, a fifty-page book of rules and regulations, costumes, you name it and it's out there. There are two groups: clay and briar. You pay a fee, take a seat and get one pipe, two matches and three grams of tobacco. Honk #1 means start packing, honk#2 signals time to light up, honk#3 means no more fire and if you're out, you're out. Some people take it very, very seriously. I never managed more than one hour, but the best can keep those three grams lit for more than three hours. Personally, I liked the social side. Meeting fellow pipesmokers over a few beers and bowls pleased me more than trying to win the match.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Foggy, the one you were in sounds similar to what I did in the late 70's. Paul Spaniola of Paul's Pipe Shop up in Flint has always been a big force with those. I have a really nice Stanwell drop egg I won at one, and a pretty nice Comoy drop billiard I won at another. I never really did that many; I think my personal best time was about 75 minutes. I would just take a book or magazine, relax, read, and smoke.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The evils of competition and the Illusion of Superiority plagues our society once again. :cry:
more people being declared winners and losers, what a frigged up concept.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Shoot, Hobie, this is not new. Foggy was doing it in 1958.

Dukdalf sounds like it is serious stuff with some folks in Europe. Maybe it is with some here,too. I just did it for grins - more completing with myself than anyone else.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think if people have fun doing it then more power to em. I personally would not enter but I can understand people's fascination with it. I cannot imagine taking 3 hours to smoke 3 grams, it is quite impressive.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"The evils of competition and the Illusion of Superiority plagues our society once again."
It sounds like somebody was picked last for kickball.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think my personal best was about 70-75 minutes. Been a longggggg time, though,so I don't really remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.