PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Impressive.
Will you be performing any advanced statistical analyses with that data? I'd like to know the cumulative effect of the variable "curiosity" over time, I would hypothesize that people begin smoking at an early age more because of a family member as opposed to curiosity, maybe we need to do some multilevel modeling, also where is your qualitative component for context? You could just forward the raw data to MIT prior to having it sent for publication so that a path model can be constructed

adam12

May 16, 2011
All goofing aside, there are some interesting results:
- What's up with the UK being a popular country of origin for pipes? Is that the Ashton Effect?
- Those who have estates they won't smoke are in the minority. Interesting
- 63% of respondents say they usually smoke a pipe alone? :(
- 75% have never attended a pipe show... I wonder if that's because of the distance?
- 2% say they neither sit quietly, think, read a book or Kindle, use the computer, watch television, or listen to music while smoking. That means we have a small but dedicated group of people whose favorite activity while smoking is showering.
- 70% of the people think another pipe smoker's recommendations are either unimportant or "somewhat" important... hellions! Flying by the seat of their pants, operating beyond the pale of all human decency. A brave crowd.
- 65% have either rarely or never smoked cigars in the last 6 months. And 79% dont smoke cigarettes. I guess that is good news
- Apparently Kevin needs to beef up his marketing efforts in Mongolia, Sierra Leone, and Yemen. I think a pipe show in Mogadishu, Somalia would be a great idea!

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks Kevin! I've been wondering what everyone else's opinions were. Glad to know I'm not the oddball ;)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
No pipe clubs/events anywhere near the MD/DE state line. I feel so anti-social :crying:

adam12

May 16, 2011
The lack of pipe camaraderie is disturbing, no joke, there needs to be more pipe shows.
It's easy to do.
We need to work on this, Kevin....... seriously
I'll be in touch. The ball was rolling on this a while back, we can rethink it

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Quite interesting read with a cup of coffee and a pipe. Looking at a lot of numbers for work, couple of things jumped out.
1) More than a third (38.9 % to be exact) has been smoking a pipe less than 5 years, with 25% less than two years. Fad or a new golden age brewing ?

2) Only 2% consider themselves hard-core collector, but 12% has un-smoked pipes ?? So 10% of us are not collectors,yet have unsmoked pipes we will never smoke. Weird :crazy:

3) 50% of pipes go for under $250. I guess that answers that other question that's flowing around "What's a higher end pipe" Answer: over $250 Stats don't lie ;-)

4) Just over 40% doesn't smoke their pipe every day. I interpret that as "recreational" or "social" smoking more so than a daily addictive habit.

5) We're a bunch of loners (63%) who smoke at home (80%), but never at work (61%). I guess that's why you don't see the pipe on the street view anymore. We should make a concentrated effort to be more public with our pipe smoking ! It may make the hobby grow.

6) We never buy stuff at Walmart .. but proportionally we still buy quite a lot of tobacco at our local tobacconists. 1 out of three answered usually / always... that's high compared to books, music, etc...

7) 65% on here are hard core pipe smoker and never or rarely smoke a cigar. I guess Kevin could have told us that by comparing this member list with Cigar Chronicles.
And finally... happy we've got 57 Texans here, but where's those three other Belgians ???
Nice job Kevin. Gave me some good reading to get the engine running this morning :puffpipe:

bagpiper1

Lurker
Nov 4, 2011
OK - great survey and layout of the results!
BUT *** I need for someone to help me with a question on it.
One question asked, "How long do you smoke a pipe in one sitting?"
48% said 30-60 minutes and

25% said 61-90 minutes.
I fell in the catagory of 16-30 minutes (13%)....as a new pipe smoker, can someone who likes to smoke over 25 minutes, explain how they make the enjoyment last longer? (I am sure I will pick up a few inuendos here :mrgreen:)
THANKS!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Again, my only gripe is that only briar and meerschaum pipes were offered as choices. I feel that at least metal/briar and cobs should be included, if not more. To go into such detail about other aspects, and ignore the fact that there are many different kinds of pipes people smoke seems short-sighted.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
Bagpiper said...

"OK - great survey and layout of the results!
BUT *** I need for someone to help me with a question on it.
One question asked, "How long do you smoke a pipe in one sitting?"
48% said 30-60 minutes and

25% said 61-90 minutes.
I fell in the catagory of 16-30 minutes (13%)....as a new pipe smoker, can someone who likes to smoke over 25 minutes, explain how they make the enjoyment last longer? (I am sure I will pick up a few inuendos here :mrgreen: )
THANKS!"

The best that I can tell you is to use a larger bowled pipe and take your sweet time. Savor the moment. Don't worry so much about keeping the pipe burning. If it goes out, just light it again. With time you will get longer and longer smokes, and better and better tastes. This is one of those hobbies where practice is fun.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
smoke slower...
^^ +1 ^^
I rarely, if ever, finish a bowl under 30 minutes, unless I've packed it half full. Slow sipping to savor the tobacco and enjoy the smoke is more what it's all about. At work, that makes it really hard for me, hence I still smoke the nails at work. Trying to find a remedy for that by having really small pipes and Kendal's Kentucky around.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
Hmmm... most surprising to me, the % stating they are somewhere in the "liberal camp." My perception has always been that most smokers generally believe the anti-smoking rules, regs, laws, and attitudes spring more from the left/liberal political and social spectrum than from the conservative element. From my perception, I therefore deduced most of us probably align ourselves more with a conservative social and political view. The survey doesn't support my pre-conception, at least not to the extent I anticipated. Wow, live and learn.

jr/john

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very interesting survey. Thank you Kevin.
Mick, you are right, stats don't lie. I guess my question has been answered and the 250.00 mark translates to high end pipes. Looks like I have a lot more high end pipes than I thought..lol.
It is kind of sad that most of us smoke alone. Back when I was big into cigars we were always having get together's and there were many cigar lounges to hang out with each other. There are two lounges here in Sarasota that I used to hang out in. We used to organize herfs( cigar parties) and used to get 70-100 guys and girls to come from all over the country. Sadly we ran out of hotels that would host us and we had to make them smaller(20-30) and hold them at people's homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.