PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Lord knows I didn't always agree with his judicial opinions but he was a great writer and advocate of the Constitution. One of us has passed; light up a bowl in remembrance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
scalia.jpg

images

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
20130221_20130110MUGS288AntoninScaliaGeneralCounselOTP.jpg

835ee1ab698a13a51019d41044725a87.jpg

I apologize if my image-posting didn't work. (Can't seem to get the knack of it yet.) It was two pics of Justice Scalia enjoying his pipe.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i am canadian but i do realize a great man has passed on - sorry for your american loss.
PS - who gets that pipe ?????????????????????????????????

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Bless him & condolences to his family. And hope the next one will keep balance & true constitutional interpretation of the constitution.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Bless him & condolences to his family. And hope the next one will keep balance & true constitutional interpretation of the constitution.
YES + 1,000...

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, again, and + infinity. What a great man. He did give up pipe smoking a while back, but he was one of us for a while.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
A great jurist with a brutally acerbic wit. A loss for the Constitution and legal one liners.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe he thrived in opposition, and chose some of his interns based on their leanings contrary to his. His endeavor to seize upon 18th Century historical culture to interpret the Constitution was seized upon by one polar end of the political spectrum because it advanced their ends, but his philosophical leanings were much more imaginative, tentative, and dependent on being balanced by strong opposition. He was both brilliant and a bit of a primitive, he of the nine children. I like him as a scholar and a writer, but not as a Supreme Court Justice. Randy Newman, the sardonic song writer, refers in one of his songs to the Supreme Court having two of the tightest assed Italians in history, one of which was Scalia. RIP.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A loss for the Constitution
Indeed. A man who saw how the ages work against truth, and the vitality of it must be maintained...
Would love to know what he smoked, to burn one for him.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thank you for the piping pix, Al and Jerwynn.
Eric, be kind. A great man has passed.
De mortuis nil nisi bonum.
He was a man of exceptional intellect and superb wit. And he loved the Constitution of the United States. (What more could any citizen of the United States want from a U.S. Supreme Court Justice?)
Tony Scalia provided balance to the Supreme Court and that alone was a life well spent.
I mourn his death.
Fnord

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
http://injo.com/2016/02/537426-20-badass-quotes-from-late-justice-antonin-scalia-show-you-what-a-colorful-character-he-was/
A quick snapshot of his mind.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
America was a better place with Scalia on the bench. RIP.
Quote from the link above.
On Constitutional Flexibility

"That’s the argument of flexibility and it goes something like this: The Constitution is over 200 years old and societies change. It has to change with society, like a living organism, or it will become brittle and break. But you would have to be an idiot to believe that. The Constitution is not a living organism, it is a legal document. It says something and doesn’t say other things."

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Scalia's legal doctrine was at best schizophrenic, at worst he proved the theory of indeterminacy in law. He would say you can't cite a dictionary in one opinion and cite the same dictionary in another if it suited him. Also, he did an enormous amount of damage to individual rights when compared to the police power of the state. Just enormous. Even handed some of that power to private interests (NDAA, Privatisation of core government functions). But he was a good writer, And he used to smoke a pipe (I don't know if he still did - met him about a decade ago and hadn't been able to figure that out). And he was a really funny and personable guy in person with a sharp and fast wit. And I mean that, a really nice guy. We forget how to see people with whom we disagree on fundamental issues in this day of sound bites and Facebook posts as people sometimes. That is what I really learned from him - I genuinely liked him even though we definitely didn't agree on a lot of things. I am sorry that he passed away.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
As with others, I was often not happy with his positions on legal matters, but he dedicated his life to the law and to what he believed in, and for that I admire him, pipe smoker or not. My condolences to his family and his friends. It is important to remember that he counted Ruth Bader Ginsberg, who could not be more diametrically opposed on most matters, as one of his "buddies." It seems that he (and she) were able to separate their views on issues from their view of the individual and respect each other despite their fundamental differences. Certainly something that I, and probably others, could stand to bear in mind every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.