PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I've been a hobbyist woodworker for years..But here in the last few months I have taken a great interest and desire to convert my skills to more hand tool centered. I find the sound of the saw and planes to be as relaxing as my pipe. I find that my pipes only add to the air of relaxation and ease.
Are there any other woodworkers in the group?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I think people in my generation and those after mine have thrown away the things of our past that it took us thousands of years to perfect like Metal work, wood work, making instruments ect. I find great pride and joy in feeling the wood in my hands as I work it, the smell it emits, the sounds.
I like to think that I'm trying to keep a craft like pipe smoking alive, in some small part.

Jun 4, 2014
I do both woodworking and metalworking. There is a certain joying in using sharp, well tuned hand tool. You feel it cutting, you hear it cutting, it gives feed back to the user that a power tool does not give.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I was a cabinetmaker apprentices in my mid-teens. My mentor discouraged me from making a career of it because the industry was moving to pre-made, ready to hang cabinets. I miss the smells of wood working - from sawdust to wood glue to the burnt smell of fresh cut wood on the table saw.

Brass, yes the industry has shifted, but there are still houses that require handmade. I hired a cabinet maker to do my kitchen and smoking room. It wasn't cheap, but at least the spaces were very very small. So, there has to be some sort of market out there. Heck, I had to wait almost a month for him, and he still has to come back to finish my smoking room. He seems busy as heck.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Cosmic, I got to go see a fella that does hand fitted wood framing houses work. He built a 3600 sqr foot all hand framed home. He then did all hand worked oak cabinets and built-in's. After two years nd over 3 million dollars the owner had a home that had no nails in the framing it was all draw bore and dowel mortise and tennon.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy woodturning. But I don't trust myself with power tools, if I have been at the office more than 10 hours. I really enjoy turning a piece of firewood into something beautiful.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I enjoy wood working very much. I don't have the time or workspace that I used to have but I still manage to make a few projects each year. I use both power and hand tools depending on what the job requires. :puffy:

Sep 18, 2015
I've got a decent shop set up, I've done some custom desk's, recently finished a 600 bottle wine cellar, rack's, cabinets & shelving.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I'm a very, very amateur woodworker. I use a mixture of hand tools and power tools, depending on the situation. My largest project, and the one I'm most proud of (defects and all), is the crib I made for my daughter. I used a table saw and a planer to getting all of the beams in shape, and then chisel and Japanese saws for the dovetails. Got the finished pieces home on the day my wife's water broke, and assembled the next morning, a few hours before my daughter was born :)
My next projects are likely to be either a pipe rack, or a smaller pipe stand (depends on how much time I have, and where I'll be - I'm moving in a couple of months).

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
My next project after my new hand tool chest is going to be this. I'm going to alter this so that it'll be a pipe case. I'm going to use Spanish cedar for the drawer bottoms and dividers and drawer dividers. I'll use actual Tiger maple or Marble wood instead of a veneer.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Cosmic - There is always room for artisan work, e.g., for the woodwork who can raise the craft to art. I know a local cabinet maker in the DC area who was charging $300 per cubic foot - 20 years ago. He had a six month waiting list.

Status
Not open for further replies.