PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
Hello

I if I was going to make a trip in 2019 to a pipe show. What would be the best one to go to? Is it Chicago? Are there ever any pipe shows in Orlando?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Different pipe shows offer different aspects, but most are pretty good to superb. If you find yourself willing to travel, but maybe not all the way to Chicago -- which is a top notch pipe show by all accounts -- you might consider the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh, N.C., at the state Fairgrounds in April. It is modest sized compared to Chicago (which is actually outside Chicago in a distant suburb) or New York (which is actually in New Jersey). Raleigh is only one day, a Saturday, but is quite expansive with many participants from out of state. Smoking Pipes has been a regular exhibitor. I think there may be fifty exhibitors, or near that. It's relaxed. There's a smoking area. Whether you go to Chicago, New York, or elsewhere, keep Raleigh in mind. Pipe shows are great and you'll enjoy them, which ever you choose.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Chicago is the biggest and is three full days. St. Charles is about 30 miles west of Chicago and the resort is outside of downtown, but St. Charles and Geneva are lovely old river towns wih plenty of fine restaurants. However, youre not likely to want to wander from the resort!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Chicago for the "wow" factor.

Las Vegas for the "Goldilocks just-right" factor.

Kansas City for the "comradery" factor.
Others are good too, these are just the most well known at-large circuit shows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few pipe show suggestions. The most valuable activity is conversation. You can learn a lot. Pick up business cards. Have your budget and shopping list in advance, so you don't blow the rent and grocery money. With the carvers themselves, don't bid low; ask them if a price is negotiable and let them give you a range, if there is one. With factory and estate pipes, you can be a little more straightforward, but be polite and reasonable. The best deals are at the last sales hours of the show, but of course, much has already been sold. You can learn a lot from carvers, tobacconists, and fellow attendees. If you are traveling far, consider making a side trip or two to other destinations, to take advantage of the travel you've invested. Or ignore all of the above. Just thoughts.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
How’s the St. Louis show ?
In years past The St. Louis (as mso will want pointed out is not in St. Louis) Gateway Pipe Show was a much larger one stop show but it's still a very good, well attended show. The last few years it's been held in a smoke friendly, very unique Masonic Temple.
To the OP IMO if you can only go to one show Chicago is it by a mile! 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^I agree^^^

If you want the full pipe show experience, Chicago Show is the Mecca.

tKWKk7z.jpg

DsSeqxx.jpg

vM1UF2D.jpg

hihEaTo.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live 35 miles from the Chicago Pipe Show and last year was my first time. I'm so looking forward to this years show. I'm planning on joining the slow smoke competition and try not be the first one out. I like to set my goals high. :puffy:

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
St.Louis has a great show ad is well attended..........plus it is smoking friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.