Pipe Shapes You're On The Fence About...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I wonder if anyone is like me and have a shape you love and hate at the same time.
For me, that is the bulldog shape. I only own one (it's a turn of the century Meer). I really like the diamond shank of a bulldog, but sorta dislike the look of the bowl. Also I associate it with the Victorian era/Industrial Revolution, and as a history buff, it is probably my least favorite period of time.
Anyone else have a love/hate thing going on?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Six I also love history, and the Victorian/Industrial areas are my favorite. So we are the exact opposite on the bulldog. But I know what you mean. I feel the same about the poker's, I love the the shape, but also hate it. I can never bring myself to buying one, something else always seems to catch my eye alittle more.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Six I also love history, and the Victorian/Industrial areas are my favorite.
That's funny - but I can also respect someone liking it - as always, to each his own!
FWIW, I find that as I get older, I find I like going further back in time. In my teens and 20s it was all about the 1700s. Then in my 30s-40s, it was the Middle Ages. Now, I find ancient history interesting, especially the early Roman era.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Watson, that is funny you say that, because that is exactly what i was going to say. I first thought pokers were hideous and then did a 180 and they are now one of my favorite shapes. I would definitely recommend you buying one. Pick one up off ebay from Rick Black, Brian Doran, J. Dees, David Jones, Mario Grande, Moretti, Unique pipes or Polinski. You might have heard of all or some of these, but keep an eye out for a poker shape from any of them. They can all be found at a very good price, so even if you end up not liking it, your not out a ton of money and you can just sell it.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I personally hate the poker...all are round, some are tall, some are short, but they're all boring...(with a few exceptions like the ones by Mark Balkovec for example....)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
The one Mark Tinsky just did for me (just made a thread with pics) is the furthest thing from boring you can get. This, of course, is subjective and merely my opinion but i think there is so many different things that can be done with the poker shape. I also think it is a very masculine and in your face shape, which happens to be traits that i like.
Like Six said, though, to each his own. I respect everyone's preferences and opinions and we are all brothers of the briar regardless!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't care for bulldogs either. I have just two, a 1907 Barling with a sterling wind cap, and a patent Sasieni that has spectacular straightgrain that surrounds the bowl in a way that works with the shape. Otherwise, ugh! I'm also not a big fan of Dublins for personal use. I like the look, but maintaining a conical chamber shape is more difficult for me than maintaining a cylindrical one. What can I say, I'm lazy.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I'm with folks on the poker. I like how they look until I go to smoke it. I have one that was gifted to me that I do enjoy, however.
Also: the blowfish. Most modern shapes in fact.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Oom Pauls are just too much for me to look at seriously. I am not a fan of Bulldogs as a straight pipe, I prefer them squat as I do Rhodesians.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Free hands in general. I think its the stems.

Bent Billiards. I find them boring.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Poker is one I have been in the fence for awhile. Picked up an Alden last year and its a great smoker. Recently I picked up a Radice Morta Poker and definitely like the feel. Its a large pipe but less than 50g.
Odd ones that I doubt I will ever own are any type of freehand and weird shapes like the blow fish. I am pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to shapes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The Poker, the Prince and Oom Paul are all shapes I dislike or may be on the fence about. I've owned all but the poker. The Cavlier is one pipe I'm definately iffy on if that can be called a "shape" as opposed to a style or type of pipe.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
For me it's the Prince shape.
I have one that I rescued from an antique mall here in town. It smokes ok but the shape still just looks awkward to me.
Funny thing is I like a huge range of shapes. From a classic straight billiard to big jaw hanging oom paul.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do love my 2 bulldogs. One is BBB Own Make Virgin 335 squart bulldog and second is Buckminster

bent bulldog. their shape is so fancy and smoke great.

Also I do have a ready made pipe kit from handmade in denmark. I am going to make my first poker.

Dec 24, 2012
Not a big fan of pots or princes or most freehands. I love pokers on the other hand. If you are a manly guy with lots of testosterone then you will like pokers. If your estrogen levels are high then you will probably have huge man boobs and smoke a prince pipe.

Reactions: Ronv69

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Apples. Very occasionally I see one I really like, but more often I wish the maker had shaved a little more wood off and made it a billiard instead.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Pokers, to me, remind me of:
1) A tree trunk with a branch sticking out.
2) A shape that requires no care in making. Make a round bowl, bore a hole in the side, and stick a stem in it.
To my eyes, a corn cob is just another take on the poker.
The Cherrywood is just a poker with a slanted bottom.
I'll also add the "Pot" shape as it is a Billiard made out of a block of wood too short to complete the bowl.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love the Rhodesian and Bulldog 1/4 bent, not straight. It's the feel in the hand for me. Princes are OK, but don't set the world on fire for me. Apples are hit or miss for me, depends on the balance.
The shape that I actively dislike is the Oom Paul, it looks uncomfortable to the hand, and unpleasing to the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.