PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I still have trouble with some of these shapes in which pipe makers come up with. I've looked at most of those charts for verification. I think this for example resembles a bent billiard but also an apple but then again the bowl rim speaks Calabash but I'm probably way off key. Help??
This is a Saint-Claude "Chap" made in France pipe. The brand was created in 1920 by the Chapel brothers. After belonging a time to Gefapip it was taken over in 1988 by the Berrod-Regad group. Berrod-Regad Group includes brands like Butz Choquin, Chap, Claude Romain, Bontemps, Jima
This pipe was another full restore job I completed this past weekend. She smoked a bowl of And SO To Bed beautifully too!
chap7-600x450.jpg

chap2-600x450.jpg

chap10-600x382.jpg

chapsmoking1-600x450.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I would classify that as a bent dublin with a bull cap. The outward taper from bottom to top makes it a dublin. A billiard would have the same line from bottom to top.
Nice pipe with nice grain. Seems a little short. I like the short full bent pipes. For an aromatics smoker, it helps get the smell of the blend. I like the french pipes. I have quite a few Chacoms and a Butz myself.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
A beautiful pipe! Well done. I too. love my French pipes. I have three BC's (Butz Choquin) and they all give splendid smokes....and they are well priced.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks eaglerico for clearing that up! Makes since now. So far regarding French made pipes I only have this Chacom Royale Billiard.
royale1-600x450.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice Chacom. It looks new. There was a thread about french pipes a while back, here.
I am by no means an authority on pipe shapes, so others may chime in with different opinions. I feel I went out on a limb with the "bull cap." I am not sure how else to call the top of the pipe, but it is different from the usual.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It reminds alot of the Peterson B10 shape. They describe it as part Bent Dublin, part Bent Bulldog, and part Calabash. The angle of the rim seems a little more gentle than the B10 but it's close.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Beautiful pipe, love the grain. On my avatar is a GBD made in France. It's a Cutty shaped pipe. It was given to my Grandfather on the occasion of his wedding in 1920.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several pipes that seem to blend two or more shapes somewhat. This is where the artistry

of pipe carving comes into play. It can be a bit like mating two pedigree dogs and getting a really

good result, the best of both. I have a Joh's extra large 1/4 bent pipe that I took, for months, as

a brandy (with that brandy glass shaped bowl) but it is quite rounded, and I discovered recently that

he had sold it as an apple. So, there you go. The defined shapes that appear on the charts are useful,

but the carver's art goes where it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.