Pipe Rotation Question

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by yadan
  • Latest reply from thesmokindragon
  1. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this question has been asked before on the forum:

Let's say you have seven pipes and smoke seven bowls per day.
    Which makes more sense - smoking the same pipe all day and rotating the pipes each day, or rotating pipes after each bowl?
    Thanks for your input!

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Some people smoke several bowls out of one pipe, and then rest it for either a day or the same amount of days as bowls smoked. I smoke one bowl out of a pipe and then rest it for at least a day.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As Ben says, it depends on the individual and also how many bowls of tobacco you smoke daily.

If you have seven pipes and you smoke 2-3 bowls a day, for example, you can choose to, on one end of the scale, smoke your three bowls in one pipe, because it will be a week (plenty of time for the pipe to dry properly) before you pick up that pipe again. Or, still using the 3 bowls a day example, you can smoke a bowl in each of 3 separate pipes on the same day -- and still, your pipes will dry fine before you smoke them again.

See my math here? IMO (and I'm with Russ Ouelette on this) --in essence, a pipe should be allowed to rest and dry one day for each bowl you smoke in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I typically will only smoke one bowl from a given pipe in a given day, letting the pipe rest overnight. Unless it's a cob, which I might smoke a few times in a day - never more than thrice.

However, I have seven pipes that I consider "good", and I smoke them once each day of the week, letting each rest an entire week. All the other pipes, however, I smoke on the once a day, rest overnight plan. So I guess I would recommend 7/day rest overnight rather than smoking one 7x day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't know how many pipes you have, but I have 29. So even if I were to smoke 10 bowls(I'd use a different pipe for each bowl), I'd still have 19 pipes to chose from the next day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes that is basically mystrategy other than those 7 that I baby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

The only exception I make is with my meers. I might have 2-3 bowls.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

You need more pipes. We all need more pipes.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I generally walk out the door with 1 pipe and 1 baccy. Smoke both all day. Get home and smoke one of my "indoor" aro pipes in the evening. Sleep. Repeat.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Cortez!

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll smoke from the same pipe if it's been at least a couple of hours for it to dry. As I don't usually smoke more than once every other day, with 3 briars, I really never have a rotation issue...

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It also depends what type of tobacco I am smoking. For instance I wouldn't use the same pipe I used for an English blend and turn around and smoke a Virginia flake in it. But I would smoke a pipe twice using only Virginias or only English. I don't mind smoking Virginias and light aromatics in the same pipe. Most days I smoke anywhere from 2-3 different pipes but that is just me.

You need more pipes. We all need more pipes.

^ This!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For my taste there is a minimum rest of 3 days after one bowl. 4 days or more is better. That means 35 briars. But meerschaums only need a day to dry. Anyhow, with 7 briars I would smoke a rotation of one bowl, then the next pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I say get 41 more pipes.

Glenn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

+1 Cortez (buy more pipes)

However, when that isn't an option.... or because you want to....

Smoke

the same pipe all day and rotat[e]ing the pipes each day

IMHO
    That's SOP (Standard Operating procedure) for me... been doing it for years.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

I now have 4 briars, one of which I don't like as it's not a good smoker. I had 3 until yesterday (the bad smoker was maybe smoked once a week) and I smoke up to 6 bowls a day in a pipe then let it rest overnight with a cleaning after every smoke and a more thorough cleaning the next morning. I've yet to have a problem with souring and plan to keep this pattern up until I have more pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke one bowl out of a pipe,then I let it rest a week or so. I'll smoke cobs a bit more heavily.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

It also depends what type of tobacco I am smoking. For instance I wouldn't use the same pipe I used for an English blend and turn around and smoke a Virginia flake in it. But I would smoke a pipe twice using only Virginias or only English. I don't mind smoking Virginias and light aromatics in the same pipe. Most days I smoke anywhere from 2-3 different pipes but that is just me.

^ This is close to my method, except that I keep separate rotations for VA Flakes/VaPers and English. 2 to 3 bowls in a pipe in a day, switch pipes. Minimum three day rest. The very few times I smoke aromatics, cobs only.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yadan:

To answer your original question: It makes more sense to me to smoke one pipe seven times in one day, then move onto a fresh pipe the next day.

I realize that was a hypothetical, but I will say that I think 7 bowls in one day may be overtaxing a single pipe. But if there's a sufficient break between each bowl, there may be no problem.

If you really are smoking, say, 5-10 bowls a day, then I think you'd really be best served by having at least 14 pipes, so you can split each day's smoking between two different pipes so neither one gets overly wet.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

Thanks, guys for your feedback.
    I think I understand what needs to be done; I smoke about 7 bowls per day, so 7x7=49-7(current #of pipes) which means I need to procure (somehow) another 42 pipes.
    It's the math on the 42 pipes that has me concerned, being very married as I am.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

Yadan, you smoke Falcons if I remember correctly.

You can safely smoke those bad boys 3 times a day each with no ill effects. Heck, Falcon themselves say you only need 1 stem & 3 bowls for a full rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's the math on the 42 pipes that has me concerned, being very married as I am.

Patrick McManus, in one of his hilarious short stories, recounted a similar issue when sneaking a new rifle into his collection. When you've only got 3 of something, it's easy to see a new addition - but once the spouse refers to the collection as "all those [pipes]", you're golden.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

start fluffing your collection with MM cobs. Their decent smokes/cheap/basically disposable. If your smoking 7 bowls a day your carrying it around with you, I smoke four or five out of one corncob a day on work breaks, one breaks or burns out I'm out 5 bucks...grab a bag of seconds. Minor cosmetic issues, most of them so minor you would have paid full price and you get ten for the cost of a Dog Grabow

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here here Josh.

Cobs are perfect for rounding out a small rotation and testing new or infrequently smoked blends/styles of tobacco.

There is no reason to wear out a small collection of briars if you enjoy smoking cobs, because they are much hardier than briar and less in need of constant rest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree, we all need to get more bacci pipes

I also have pipes dedicated to types of blends; English, Vs, Aro
    and some to a specific blend.

I mix in cobs, clays and Meers into the rotation when I'm not in
    serious PAD overload..."must get more pipes for rotation / I NEED
    them" hahaha

I do follow Russ's advice as well on # of bowls = # of rest days

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thedeep, papipeguy, cynyr, lestrout, quincy, tombraider, numbersix, tankbuster183, ravkesef, pipedreamer, fadingdaylight, ae1pt, goldsm, decigar, sfduke, igloo, jfox520, dutchronin