PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Sorry if this question has been asked before on the forum:
Let's say you have seven pipes and smoke seven bowls per day.

Which makes more sense - smoking the same pipe all day and rotating the pipes each day, or rotating pipes after each bowl?

Thanks for your input! :puffy:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Some people smoke several bowls out of one pipe, and then rest it for either a day or the same amount of days as bowls smoked. I smoke one bowl out of a pipe and then rest it for at least a day.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I typically will only smoke one bowl from a given pipe in a given day, letting the pipe rest overnight. Unless it's a cob, which I might smoke a few times in a day - never more than thrice.
However, I have seven pipes that I consider "good", and I smoke them once each day of the week, letting each rest an entire week. All the other pipes, however, I smoke on the once a day, rest overnight plan. So I guess I would recommend 7/day rest overnight rather than smoking one 7x day.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I don't know how many pipes you have, but I have 29. So even if I were to smoke 10 bowls(I'd use a different pipe for each bowl), I'd still have 19 pipes to chose from the next day.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I generally walk out the door with 1 pipe and 1 baccy. Smoke both all day. Get home and smoke one of my "indoor" aro pipes in the evening. Sleep. Repeat.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'll smoke from the same pipe if it's been at least a couple of hours for it to dry. As I don't usually smoke more than once every other day, with 3 briars, I really never have a rotation issue...

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
It also depends what type of tobacco I am smoking. For instance I wouldn't use the same pipe I used for an English blend and turn around and smoke a Virginia flake in it. But I would smoke a pipe twice using only Virginias or only English. I don't mind smoking Virginias and light aromatics in the same pipe. Most days I smoke anywhere from 2-3 different pipes but that is just me.
You need more pipes. We all need more pipes.
^ This!

Aug 14, 2012
For my taste there is a minimum rest of 3 days after one bowl. 4 days or more is better. That means 35 briars. But meerschaums only need a day to dry. Anyhow, with 7 briars I would smoke a rotation of one bowl, then the next pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 Cortez (buy more pipes)
However, when that isn't an option.... or because you want to....
Smoke
the same pipe all day and rotat[e]ing the pipes each day

IMHO

That's SOP (Standard Operating procedure) for me... been doing it for years.

:puffy:

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I now have 4 briars, one of which I don't like as it's not a good smoker. I had 3 until yesterday (the bad smoker was maybe smoked once a week) and I smoke up to 6 bowls a day in a pipe then let it rest overnight with a cleaning after every smoke and a more thorough cleaning the next morning. I've yet to have a problem with souring and plan to keep this pattern up until I have more pipes.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
It also depends what type of tobacco I am smoking. For instance I wouldn't use the same pipe I used for an English blend and turn around and smoke a Virginia flake in it. But I would smoke a pipe twice using only Virginias or only English. I don't mind smoking Virginias and light aromatics in the same pipe. Most days I smoke anywhere from 2-3 different pipes but that is just me.
^ This is close to my method, except that I keep separate rotations for VA Flakes/VaPers and English. 2 to 3 bowls in a pipe in a day, switch pipes. Minimum three day rest. The very few times I smoke aromatics, cobs only.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
yadan:
To answer your original question: It makes more sense to me to smoke one pipe seven times in one day, then move onto a fresh pipe the next day.
I realize that was a hypothetical, but I will say that I think 7 bowls in one day may be overtaxing a single pipe. But if there's a sufficient break between each bowl, there may be no problem.
If you really are smoking, say, 5-10 bowls a day, then I think you'd really be best served by having at least 14 pipes, so you can split each day's smoking between two different pipes so neither one gets overly wet.
Bob

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Thanks, guys for your feedback. :)

I think I understand what needs to be done; I smoke about 7 bowls per day, so 7x7=49-7(current #of pipes) which means I need to procure (somehow) another 42 pipes.

It's the math on the 42 pipes that has me concerned, being very married as I am. :lol:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Yadan, you smoke Falcons if I remember correctly.
You can safely smoke those bad boys 3 times a day each with no ill effects. Heck, Falcon themselves say you only need 1 stem & 3 bowls for a full rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.