PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duff

Lurker
Jan 8, 2016
New member & new to pipe smoking. I have a question about pipe rotation. I've been reading about people rotating their pipes from two days to a week. My question is, is that after every bowl that you smoke or can you smoke the same pipe multiple times throughout the day and then rest that for a couple of days to a week? just a little confused...
thanks in advance.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Hi Duff.

I'll smoke the same pipe multiple times a day and have had no ill effects. I will

just rest it a bit longer. I don't have a set time I rest a pipe. I just try to decide if it

has dried out enough.
I don't get too crazy over thinking it. Yes, I don't want to abuse and ruin my pipes but, at the same time

I don't coddle them.
So yeah, I believe you can smoke it multiple times a day but, be sure to rest it an appropriate amount of time.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Welcome duff! 100 people, 100 different opinions. I can tell you only what I do. I smoke one pipe per day then I let it sit for awhile, if I have 2 or 5 bowls per day it will be in the same pipe, But then again I have a longer rotation, so that pipe that just had 5 bowls may rest for a couple weeks. Many of the old timers had one or two pipes and would smoke the crap out of them.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Welcome to the forum!
Personally, there are days where I'll smoke the same pipe 2 or 3 times. It's not very often as I rarely get in more than 2 bowls a day, but I've had no problems. A general rule I've heard is to let the pipe rest for the same number of days as number of bowls smoked in a day ie 2 bowls, rest 2 days, on so on.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I see this question about pipe rotation on pipe internet forums all the time and like another poster stated, the opinions will vary greatly.
The general thought is that a pipe needs time to rest between smokes or it will go sour. But, how long do you need to rest your favorite pipe? My answer is that if you keep your pipes clean inside and out, run an alcohol (EverClear, 190 Proof is my favorite), soaked pipe cleaner or two through the shank and stem every 10 or so smokes, and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel after every smoke, then 24 hours should be all the rest a quality pipe needs. I have several pipes in my rotation that I smoke every day and they smoke beautifully. I do have other favorites that seem to enjoy a longer rest between smokes and you will figure that out on your own as you become acquainted with your pipes.
I only smoke 4-5 bowls a day. That means 4-5 pipes are needed each day. So, my rotation will not need to include as many pipes as those of you who smoke 10-15 bowls a day.
I have a Bruce Weaver Brandy Sandblast that I usually consider my first smoke of the day pipe EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK! The pipe smokes cool and dry and never clogs with tobacco when I smoke it. After each smoke I use the paper towel trick and after every 10 or so smokes, I do the EverClear trick. It gets reamed about once a month. I may smoke that pipe every morning for the rest of my life. I have another pipe, made by Brian Ruthenberg that delivers a beautiful smoke, but, for some unknown reason the pipe's smoking qualities head south if I smoke it more than 2-3 times in a week. So, I give it a week's rest after smoking and it performs beautifully again. Boy, this pipe smoking learning curve sure ain't easy, is it? Of course, I've only been smoking my pipes for 40-years or so but I think I'll figure it all out eventually. (-;
By the way, welcome to the forum, Duff!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I tend to smoke on the go. Walking, breaks at work, driving, etc. So I'm often not at home to switch pipes if I finish a bowl and want another. In that case I'll just refill and relight. But I do try to avoid a third go in a day in one pipe, and if I'm home I'll almost always switch. Then again, I only smoke 1-3 bowls a day, and some days I don't smoke at all. So even with just half a dozen pipes this works for me. Long story short I find that this approach is easier on the pipes, at least as evidenced by the state they are in when I clean them.

That's opinion 5 out of 100.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I rarely if ever smoke more than one bowl in a pipe. I then rest it for a couple of days or more. If I know I am going to smoke multiple bowls at a friends, I bring enough pipes so I don't have to smoke more than one bowl in any given pipe. I don't know anypne who would abuse their pipe by smoking multiple bowls. It is considerd blasphemy and the pipe Gods will turn your pipes sour. :nana:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome aboard, Duff.
I generally smoke a bole or two in the evenings, weekends 3 maybe 4 while reading. I have plenty of pipes but generally take one or two out to smoke for the afternoon and evening in fair weather. Some times I smoked the same pipe all 3 or 4 boles. I had noticed that their was a definite difference in the first bole when smoking 3 boles and switching to a second pipe for the 4th bole. It may not be noticeable unless you switch but the difference is there for me. If all I had was one pipe I am not sure it would be evident, but if you switch off to a dry clean bole, for me, it is there. Nothing magic, just taste a little better.
30 years ago ago I smoked codger blends and just had one pipe. I smoked it all the time. It did not taste that good to me back then. I was always chewing gum and was eating mints. I smoked only for the nicotine and being a cigarette smoker inhaled my pipe also :crazy:. I could not understand how pipe smokers received any enjoyment from the pipe if they did not inhale.
When I returned to smoking it was only to the pipe. Taste was very important. I had been smoking too fast. Reading on this blog educated me in many ways and cadence was just one of them. To see for myself the difference it made, 2 pipes were selected and packed with the same blend. Lighting one I smoked it until it was too uncomfortable to hold. At that point I switched to the other pipe. No comparison in taste, flavor, heat or any other respect. This showed me beyond description how important a slow smoke is.
My point is, when an additional smoke comes relatively close behind the first, a second pipe reflects, to me, a difference in taste toward the better. Maybe it is just me, but since pipes are not an issue for me these days, I can change them up with frequency and rest them well, so I do. I should state that I am talking briar pipes here.
If I was beginning all over with smoking pipes today, I would buy 10 or so cobs and start saving to pick up a decent briar from time to time, as my resources allowed and my education increased, to build a rotation of briars.
All my best to you in your coming days in the world of pipe smoking. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you can smoke multiple bowls in a pipe during a day as long as you let it rest a few days before smoking it again. Many of us on Forums have quite a few pipes so tend to smoke only one bowl, to smoke more of our pipes, to keep them active.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I smoke the same pipe all day. Unless it gets gurgly, I will clean it and let it dry. I never used to believe people about dry time, but it makes all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.