PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
The London Briar estate pipe I just got had so much cake in it you couldn't fit a pencil down the bowl. After using my Senior Pipe Reamer (until I had Blisters on my fingers), I finally have it down to the briar. I went to all the local stores on this side of my little island but couldn't find any Everclear.

My question is would it be a really bad idea to use rubbing alcohol instead for the salt treatment?

Aug 1, 2012
Not a real answer to your question but did you look for a high proof rum like Bacardi 151? That has worked for me.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
I looked for 151 too. Aparrently the REALLY hard stuff isnt to popular here on Maui, because I couldn't find that either.

Did some searching on the YouTube. This guy says it's OK and I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3kTxesN2-M&feature=related

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can use rubbing alochol, many of us on here do. It is isop. or 95% Ethanol. And you do not have to let it set for days afterwards because it is an evaporative. 12 hours or so is more than plenty. Some of us long term pipe smokers use this with no ill effects. I have been using it for over 16 yrs.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
You can use isopropyl alcohol just don't smoke it for 5 days or so.
Thanks Photoman13. I'm going to give it a try as I'm not that patient and don't want to search the entire island for it.

Aug 1, 2012
I don't think it'll hurt you but if it were mine, I would do the heat and activated carbon pellets trick.

Jul 15, 2011
Using isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, for doing a salt and alcohol treatment should be OK if you can't get your hands on anything else. I have used both that and Everclear and have never had a problem with either. I personally seem to get better results when I clean a pipe with Everclear in that Everclear seems to me to draw more tar and nicotine out of the bowl than isopropyl. This is just my experience however.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not finding much of a difference in effectiveness between 100 proof Isopropyl alcohol and Everclear. There was a huge thread on this ion the Smokers Forums with the conclusion that the isopropyl isn't any worse then Everclear, healthwise. I wouldn't drink either!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Isopropyl is all I've ever used. I have smoked a pipe immediately after cleaning with it many times.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Yup, 91% isopropyl from Walgreens. If it's good enough for first aid use, it's good enough for my pipes.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've always said don't cook with it if you wouldn't drink it so unless you plan on eating your pipe, you're probably OK...I haven't had problems yet, but then I don't like the taste of briar.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Where I live, we can't get anything over 140-150 proof (70-75% alcohol) so the 91% iso is actually less water than the liquor. My experience is limited but I've had no issues using the 91% iso; I generally wait for the smell to dissipate before I smoke the pipe but not always. I will say that salt seems fo draw out more than cottonballs IMHO.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Seriously, I like Gosling's Black Seal rum, so I use that and it works great. I know it will all work, but my guideline for anything with a taste is that I have to like the ingredient before I will put it in a stew. I do not like rubbing alcohol!

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
Thanks for all the reply's. I used isopropyl alcohol and salt to soak up the tars. It still had the odor of the previous owners tobacco in it so I went to the pet supply store and got a big jar of activated charcoal for $10. I now have it in the oven, following the directions in this article. I'll let you know how it works out

Status
Not open for further replies.