PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I was looking around for cheaper reamers and found a few that fit my budget ATM but does anyone know how well they work?
image_zps789098a2.jpg

image_zps22530025.jpg

I know the best reamer would probably be the long adjustable type but those are a bit more than I was hoping to spend. I just need something to do the job.... Thanks!!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
As long as the construction isn't complete crap, the Butner style reamer (the second pic) works well, although I've found that (with mine, at least) they tend to ream the bowl in a conical manner. I've got no experience with the Dunhill reamer pictured, but once again, if the construction isn't crap, it should work just fine. Personally, I find that I tend to use either my Castleford T-handle or my Senior Reamer the most, with the edge going to the Castleford. That said, the cheapest reamer you can find is a dull-knife and patience, or perhaps some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and elbow grease.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I got the one, or very similar to it, from my local B&M and it is junk: began to bend on the first use and the rivets started coming loose. I got an Italian Buttner-style off the bay and its great for conical bowls, as was mentioned. The Castleford does a great job for under $20 and I've seen them go as low as $10 new on the bay.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Ok, Im going to throw this out there...
If you have access to a.die grinder, all you need is a piece of 1/4 inch rod. Saw a vertical slit in it lengthwise at about a half inch deep. Fold a small piece of sandpaper and slide it in the slit in the rod. Chuck it up in the grinder, insert it in the bowl and let er rip. You have to be careful not to pull it out with the grinder on or it will damage the finish pretty bad. Ive used this.method on a.couple pipes and it will get you down to the briar in seconds.
Those of you that have been in a machine shop may know this as a "flapper". Works great for deburring and/or polishing holes. :puffy:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for all the input. I found a B&M today and they said they would order the second one for 8 bucks.... Decided against it because I figured I would save up for a senior reamer of some sort. :puffpipe:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I prefer the Castleford. To me works better then the senior, especially for pipes with smaller bowls. I have a burner copy and a senior and I use the Castleford regularly for restoring.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I have seen the castleford and worried about it I had an i between sized bowl that didnt fit one or the other... Have you had that problem?

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
I can do the flapper on my die grinder, but was thinking handier might be one for a dremel ,either on the extention shaft or without. Would have to make one and try it out on some scrap to see.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have seen the castleford and worried about it I had an i between sized bowl that didnt fit one or the other... Have you had that problem?
No. I actually use the smallest one most of the time. I will twist it down like it is meant to be used, then use the edges like a pipe knife. With the bottom of the bowls being different shapes, thus is the best way not cut into the wood.
As far as the plastic handle, no issue. Super hard and no flexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.