PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
It becomes honed over time, right? I was just watching some old videos and caught a Falcon at the end of Red Red Wine by UB40.
We are everywhere!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's what we need, more product placement on behalf of pipe smokers.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Aside from the famous celebrities known specifically for their pipe habits, the idea of product placement is often lost to a changing non-smoking environment. Fantasy movies have done a great job at keeping piping alive, most people can't picture a wizard or leprechaun without. Yet it's almost sad that santa often seems to be a non smoker. I'd like to see a revival of pipers in prominent roles.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I am a huge fan of old movies. Especially the 30's and 40's. Ever since I got into pipe smoking I am suddenly seeing pipes in movies that I've watched dozens of times that I never noticed before. Not just secondary characters either. Sometimes the star is smoking a pipe for half the movie and I had never really taken note of it before. My pipe radar is on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now that the subject has been brought up, just watched Blade Runner a few days ago, hadn't seen it for years, but at the opening of the bar scene when Deckard is looking for Taffey Lewis, three people are smoking old fashioned clay pipes.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I am a huge fan of old movies. Especially the 30's and 40's.
The best scene in an old movie revolving around the pipe has to be the final scene of The Big Shot (1937). I wish that I could find a clip.
As an aside, it was during my research of Inglorious Basterds that I came across the Falcon in Red Red Wine. And, of course, there is an iconic pipe-related scene in that movie.
(Don't ask how I got to UB40 from Tarrantino. Just accept the mystery.)

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Really? Wow. Your collection must be either quite random, or quite extensive.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
It turned out to be the 1942 movie of the same name with Bogey. I still might have the 1937 one. I will have to dig for it when I get home tonight. That one does not appear to be out on dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.