PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
looking to build a large pipe rack that you hang on the wall. was wondering if anyone has made one or have plans for one.dave

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I made a cheap pipe rack out of 3 wooden letter "L"s and three dowl rods! It is pretty crude but it works well with bent pipes! I will post pictures when I get off work

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I've been thinking about making a pipe rack for a couple months. If I can find some decently priced hardwood I may just finally get around to it.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think I am going to spend my next day off making an actual hard wood rack...
Oh and this is the cheap rack that "works", it just doesn't work great...
IMG_3068.jpg

Edit: It took me less than an hour to make that rack! :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's some pictures of mine. The shelves were a high school project of my Grandfather's.

I just refinished it and added some horizontal dowels to convert it to a pipe rack.
DSC00298.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
PSTLPKR, I really like the way you did that pipe rack, that is a sweet set up.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
that is a nice rack pstlpkr. think i am going to build a freehand. lol just start building one and see how it ends up. may run down the lumber yard tonight. i have some nice wood skids at work. was thinking arout building one out of them and get the rustic look.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
hey pstlpkr. that pipe on the top shelf in the middle looks like one i made. can you

take a pic of it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Buckeye!
That is one of my two best pipes.

It is a 5C Cavicchi Full Bent Volcano, it has perfect grain.

[Edit: I bought this pipe in 1985 I think for about $350]

Let's try clickable thumbnails:

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I just made up some pretty crude plans for building a pipe rack and I thought I would share them with you guys. First because I thought you guys would like it, and second because I need help checking my math :P
rackplans.png

Oh and nothing is to scale as you can see, and everything is in inches. Sorry about the large size ...

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Making your own rack could be a fun project. If you find a set of plans to follow be sure that there is enough space between the part where the stems go and the base where the bowls sit. Years ago pipes tended to be smaller than they are today and many modern pipes won't fit in an old rack... especailly some bent stems. You might consider using slots instead of holes for the stems and that can solve the problem. But, it can create another problem because some bent pipes don't balance well in a slotted rack. Also be sure you allow enough space between the pipes.
An example of an old rack being too small is one I have. It's a table top Decater carousel sytle that holds 16 pipes and I bought it when I was in collage in 1970 (it was in the shop window and had been faded some by the sun. Cost me $5.) even then it was too tight. The space between the top and the bottom was just not big enough. What I did was I removed the top from the center post, then I took the lid from a peanut butter jar, turned it upside down and placed it on the top of the center post, then I put the top back on using a longer screw to hold it in place. This raised the top part about 3/4" and now the rack has enough space to take almost any pipe. It's sitting right next to the computer monitor and has been used daily for 40 years.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Bubba, I just got thrown out of The Early Learning Centre and Toys R Us, because I asked them for 2 dozen wooden letter L's to make a pipe rack. Damned Anti Smoker's!!! :roll:

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
good plans and good advice. pstlpkr i may try to make a volcano pipe. i like that shape. nice pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.