PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I see from time to time, posts about the rising cost of pipe tobacco. And although this may be true, has anyone really noticed the price of pipes lately? I like to watch pipes and have a wish list, and I have noticed that prices have gone up in the past couple months, anywhere from 10-50 bucks! Now this is a true shame, maybe I should have a pipe cellar as well!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've noticed this too. Particularly with the Savinelli 320 model as it seems to be really popular. I've noticed it with other pipes though. Maybe its a sign that the pipe hobby has in fact become popular again.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Pipes will be made, and are not regulated by government. Tobacco is however. I have three pipes, all artisans and really don't concern myself with pipes, as tobacco can disappear much easier than pipes can.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have not noticed any increases in the new pipes I have bought since May 2012. In terms of estate pipes, I keep finding great deals so I have not noticed anything there either. I think mfgs will be hard pressed to raise prices now when a lot of people are focusing on their cellars.

Aug 14, 2012
They have been rising steadily for quite some time (forever) in small amounts. Looked at over a period of years, a 1958 Dunhill that I bought new for $22 now costs $550. My $20 Wilke from 1957 would now be in the $500-$5000 range depending on which pipemaker worked on it. At around that time a can of Dunhill 965 cost about $1.80, now it is $9+.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have noticed a slight increase in pipe prices over the past year or two, but it hasn't stopped me from purchasing more of them. I frequently check eBay for estate pipes which can generally be cheaper then new pipes.

Personally, if I am already paying $100+ for a pipe then I doubt an added $10 will really stop me from getting it. A little upsetting? Yes, but not as bad as the rise in pipe tobacco prices.
-Frank

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I like to watch pipes and have a wish list, and I have noticed that prices have gone up in the past couple months, anywhere from 10-50 bucks!
Imports? I could believe currency fluctuations maybe having an effect, domestic inflation?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
You can't compare prices from 50+ years ago to today. You also used to be able to buy a at for $2500 new, now you are hard pressed for a decent ride under $30,000. I just bought a new truck, and at I was in sticker shock for quite a while.
Everything cost more these days, but some things more than others.
I focus on tobacco, because what good is a pipe with nothing in it? What will you put in your pipe with no tobacco?

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It seems to me that it's easier to find bargains on pipes than on tobacco.With that said I agree that a good many new pipes aren't intended for my budget.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It's all about what's popular. Everybody had to have a bulldog a little while back now it seems every time I might get a decent price on a nosewarmer or a poker it disappears. As long as its a decent brand or crafter they seem to fluctuate. It seems to me that whatever was the cool thing to have a year ago there are usually a bunch of factory made look alikes sitting at my tobacconist... lol

Aug 1, 2012
I have noticed a pronounced increase in lower end estate pipes (the kind I buy) but just put it down to basic market fluctuations.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It seems to me manufactured pipes are slowly on the rise but, I've come to notice the prices from artisans to be heading down a bit. I remember when I first got into pipes seriously about three years ago I couldn't find an artisan pipe for under $500 and now there's a good number of them out there in the $200-$300 range.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Just thought I'd go onto ebay and do alittle window shopping. Yep, prices are going up. Last month I bought a Peterson Killarney Red 69 for $68.00 free shipping from Ireland. Same pipe in now $83.00 plus shipping.
I wonder, if tobacco prices go through the roof (or at least to the rafters) will pipes go down in price to encourage buying tobacco? I'm looking for a silver lining here.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
. I think mfgs will be hard pressed to raise prices now when a lot of people are focusing on their cellars.
Harris

YES!!Get a $500 Dunhill and have nothing to put in it.I'm not in it for the ART,I want a Smoke...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I haven't noticed prices on pipes rising, but even if some have, good deals still exist. I just picked up this estate on smokingpipes.com for $55.00.
Made in Denmark with no flaws except a darkened rim.
004-001-5478.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pipe prices might be a wee bit soft right now because of the big Chicago show. The months prior have some selling to free up cash for serious PAD at the show itself. Also, there is some decrease in EBay type buying, conserving cash and rack space for Chicago.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have noticed a slight increase in pipe prices over time, until about three months ago, when there seemed to

be a steep increase. I'm sorry I didn't keep notes to cite specific examples. However, one symptom is that,

within a given series of, say, Petersons, there used to be an array of prices, so you could balance price against

aesthetics. Now, most or all in a series will be exactly the same price, and that price has increased toward the

top end from before. Also, one Peterson series that used to have lower prices, Kapet, is gone from SPC.

Balancing this to some degree, I think prices on "estate" (used) pipes is still highly competitive on ebay and

other similar sites, and it seems that estate pipes on SPC and other sites include more pipes at the lower end,

though it is often a bit of a roll of dice knowing what you are getting with an estate pipe you can't see firsthand.

There are still some stellar deals in pipes. I'm always mentioning (sorry) Iwan Ries Exclusives as still being

a great buy. My first pipe from Tinder Box in the 1970s was a St. Ives, and the Pipe Guru at Tinder Box

recently reminded me it was probably produced by GDB/Comoy, and was priced at $13.95. So, you can't tell me

pipe prices haven't gone up. SPC recently brought a Luciano billiard sandblast with a saddle stem to the TAPS

pipe show in Raleigh, at my request, and I bought it for $75, which I thought was a fine deal. Comparable pipes

seem to go for at least $20 to $30 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.